Exciting and interesting technical challenges await when you join a world-class research team dedicated to reducing the impact of natural hazards and climate risks! FM Global is a market leader in commercial and industrial property insurance and loss prevention, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000 companies with engineering-based risk reduction and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art engineering and research.
The Structures and Natural Hazards research group at FM Global is looking for a creative, self-motivated individual who will work alongside a unique group of scientists across engineering, earth, and atmospheric sciences to protect the value of our clients' businesses. This position provides an opportunity to engage in solving real-world science and engineering problems and in developing methods to identify and model hazards, assess risk, and produce efficient and cost-effective loss prevention solutions. This is a full-time position with a role focused on performing strategic research in the areas of hydraulics and riverine flooding. This position will be based out of FM Global office located at Norwood MA, USA.
The candidate will evaluate, develop, and implement techniques and models that will lead to impactful improvements in risk analytics and loss prevention for flood-related perils. The candidate’s work will include:
- Performing riverine hydraulic modeling and creating flood maps at local to global scales through the development and/or application of hydraulic models
- Conceptualizing and developing end-to-end solutions at local to global scales and integrating with FM Global riverine and coastal flood maps
- Developing plans for strategic research that will lead to significant, measurable improvements in the ability to estimate future property losses
- Preparing reports and presentations describing study results and their relevance for loss prevention and risk management
- PhD degree with a fundamental background in hydraulics or hydrodynamics
- Solid research record in the development and the application of 1D and 2D hydraulic models to map riverine floods
- Modeling experience demonstrating broad understanding of modeling principles including model setup, calibration, and validation
- Broad knowledge of numerical methods and excellent coding skills using programming languages such as R, Python, FORTRAN, MATLAB, and/or others
- Strong analytical skills and solid knowledge of probability and statistics
- Experience with collecting, processing, and analyzing large datasets
- Experience with GIS tools such as ArcGIS, QGIS, and GDAL
- A research record (including publications) and demonstrated expertise on flood-related natural hazards
- Experience with High Performance Computing on Linux/Unix clusters and cloud platforms such as AWS
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills, and project management abilities. Demonstrated capability of communicating highly technical and scientific insights to non-technical audiences
The job title depends on qualifications and experience.
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce. We offer our employees a wide range of benefits including career-long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, 401(k), pension, flexible schedules, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days and so much more!
Applicants are encouraged to send a recent CV to Tiara Adducie (Tiara.Adducie@FMGlobal.com).