In this role, you will undertake various research relating to geothermal reservoir geochemistry, with particular emphasis on gas chemistry and emissions, chemical modelling and if possible, corrosion and scaling in geothermal wells. Work on supercritical fluid chemistry is also possible. The successful applicant will also be involved in a wide range of geothermal projects related to active geothermal systems in New Zealand.
We are seeking a person with substantial experience and expertise in the field of geothermal chemistry to be part of our growing geothermal geochemistry group at GNS Science, based in Wairakei, Taupo.
The position offers an attractive opportunity to play a key role in research and commercial work both within New Zealand and offshore. The current skills of the geothermal geochemistry team at GNS Science are seen as complementary to this position ensuring flexibility and room for growth.
Candidates will show flexibility, innovation and a commitment to quality. People skills, teamwork, and the ability to approach and interact with a range of people are also a must.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- A Ph.D. in inorganic chemistry or the Earth Sciences with an emphasis on geochemistry,
- An understanding of, or prior experience working on, geothermal systems,
- Has computing skills commensurate with the position such as chemical thermodynamic modelling and reactive transport modelling (e.g., TOUGH react),
- Previous experience in the geothermal industry, and
- A working knowledge of various isotope systematics and gas chemistry.
About GNS Science
GNS Science, Te Pῡ Ao, undertakes world-leading Earth science research. Our people are passionate, committed, and focused on bringing our vision of a cleaner, safer, more prosperous New Zealand to life.GNS offers a supportive and flexible work environment, professional career development and generous employee benefits.
Want to know more?
For further information about this position and to apply online please visit https://careers.sciencenewzealand.org/gns-science/gns-science-jobs.
Applications close: 1 September 2021