MySOC is focused on measuring and mapping soil carbon in agricultural landscapes using a novel combination of existing technologies. We gather, interpret, and share soil data that can support the transition to a regenerative, resilient and carbon friendly agriculture system.
Post-Doctoral Geospatial Data Scientist Role Overview
The MySOC research program is looking for an enterprising and passionate Post-Doctoral Geospatial Data Scientist, to support its data analysis and visualization efforts, unifying data provided by landowners and managers with open data sources. Working collaboratively across MySOC’s data acquisition and analysis efforts, this person will help scale the organization’s modeling capabilities and ensure that its system remains innovative, iterative and improving.
The Geospatial Data Scientist will report to Prof. Kris Covey, Environmental Studies and Sciences on data acquisition and analysis while supporting the MySOC Program Director as needed.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Work with MySOC team members to gather, assess, organize, profile, and clean data for geospatial analysis
- Code in Google Earth engine and introduce additional analytical tools into processes that can be used across regions
- Provide mentorship and professional development opportunities to undergraduate environmental sciences students inside an academic setting.
Compensation & Benefits
The Geospatial Data Scientist compensation is competitive, includes benefits and is eligible for compensation increases based on performance and available funding resources. Ideal candidates will be located near Skidmore College or able to be present on campus a minimum of three days a week during the academic school year.
- 3-5+ years of experience with advanced geostatistical approaches to environmental issues.
- Familiarity with a broad base of analytical tools and databases (including, but not limited to):
- Geospatial modeling and analysis (machine learning, Bayesian approaches, geo-statistical methods, spatio-temporal modeling)
- National and global geospatial datasets, preferably with exposure to soil databases such as SoilGrids, gSSURGO, Polaris
- Experience using remotely-sensed products: Landsat, Sentinel, Planet, LiDAR, UAV etc.
- Exposure to a suite of GIS and Remote Sensing software (ArcGIS Pro, QGIS, ENVI, ERDAS, etc)
- Web programming for geospatial applications
- Data management skills (e.g. data integrity, QA/QC, database administration)
- Cartographic/visualization expertise in both print and web format
- Passionate, mission-driven and capable of running projects independently
- Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail, efficient time management, and the ability to prioritize work effectively
- An entrepreneurial and self-starting spirit, excited about exploring the unknown
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
Required documents needed to apply:
- On-line application
- Cover Letter
- List of Three References
Apply on line at: http://jobs.skidmore.edu
In order to prevent or significantly reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission at Skidmore College and protect all members of the College community from infection, successful candidates will be required to submit proof of full vaccination as a condition of employment, unless exempted as a reasonable accommodation of a medical condition or sincerely religious belief or practice.
Skidmore College is committed to being an inclusive campus community and, as an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, dating violence, or stalking, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Employment at Skidmore College is contingent upon an acceptable background check result.
CREATIVE THOUGHT MATTERS.