NanoTomo Postdoc - 93177
Organization: GO-Energy Geosciences
Berkeley Lab’s Earth and Environmental Sciences Area (EESA, https://eesa.lbl.gov/) is seeking a talented and innovative Postdoctoral Fellow with expertise in the collection and analysis of tomography data to join their Energy Geosciences Division (https://eesa.lbl.gov/our-divisions/energy-geosciences/)207529. The researcher will join the Fundamental Geosciences group, a multidisciplinary team funded by the DOE Basic Energy Science program.
What You Will Do:
• Operate a nano-tomography instrument and aid in the development of a program to study the fundamental science of nano-scale chemical-mechanical processes in geological systems.
• Conduct chemical-mechanical experiments using a nano-mechanical loading apparatus on a nano-tomography beamline
• Interact with ALS staff to ensure x-ray delivery
• Develop best practices for the collection and analysis of nano-tomography data
• Collaborate with scientists in other fields such as Hydrogeology, Geomechanics, Seismology, and Geochemistry.
• Write peer-review journal articles and technical reports.
What is Required:
• A recent PhD in Physics, Geoscience, Data Science, Mechanical Engineering, or a closely related field.
• Expertise in x-ray tomography, image analysis, and/or analysis of chemical-mechanical processes.
• Demonstrated ability to work with 3D and ideally also 4D data sets.
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment with a multidisciplinary group of scientists.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills for effective collaboration and for writing peer-reviewed journal publications and technical reports.
• This is a full-time, two year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 3 years of paid postdoctoral experience.
• Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to hire individuals from different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives who share these same values and commitments.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://188.8.131.52/counter.php?id=204832 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/PayTransparencyNondiscrimination.html) under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law."