Director of Program Development, Earth & Biological Sciences
Job ID: 312356
Richland, WA (United States)
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) seeks a Director of Program Development for Earth & Biological Sciences. The Director of Program Development is a key member of the Earth and Biological Sciences Directorate (EBSD) Leadership Team and is responsible for the formulation of strategic priorities and directions for the development and capture of research programs and partner project opportunities. The Director oversees a program portfolio that delivers ~$200M in annual business volume to PNNL. Programs are executed for two primary sponsors - DOE’s Office of Biological and Environmental Research and the National Institutes of Health. Responsibilities of the Director include developing program development strategies, driving scientific innovation and impact, identifying and developing new programmatic opportunities, ensuring high quality products (both proposals and communications products), and sustaining strong positive relationships with our primary sponsors.
The Director leads a team that develops and grows programs for these sponsors as well as those in evolving sectors (such as NASA, NOAA, Industry), and works with other PNNL Directorates to develop opportunities for other sponsors (such as DOD, EPA, EERE, BES).
The Director of Program Development works with the EBSD Associate Laboratory Director to develop and drive the programmatic strategy for EBSD. This overarching responsibility requires that the incumbent execute responsibilities including, but not limited to, the following:
- Develop, steward and manage a large programmatic portfolio (~$200M), ensuring that sponsor expectations are met or exceeded.
- Leadership and mentorship of a 4-6 person matrixed team to execute the responsibilities of the Program Development Office.
- Manage a ~$2.5M program development budget to ensure successful execution of responsibilities.
- Partner with the EBSD CSTO to provide input into evolving strategic directions and internal capability development priorities.
- Work with EBSD’s CSTO to develop and steward EBSD’s Directorate Objectives – including the development and execution of implementation plans.
- Coordinate with other Directorates across PNNL as appropriate for design and development of cross-Directorate programs consistent with strategy.
- Partner with PNNL’s Director of Research Partnerships to support activities with identified external partners for collaboration to elevate the science impact of EBSD and PNNL.
- Promote a culture of mentoring scientists and engineers, leading by example.
- Communicate strategy and the successes that result from it to staff across the Laboratory.
- Engage EBSD technical staff, at all levels, in the development and execution of programs, empowering a creative, productive and innovative S&T environment for all staff.
- Bachelor's Degree with 12 plus years of experience; or Advanced Degree plus 10 years of experience
- Bachelor's Degree with 15 plus years of experience; or Advanced Degree plus 13 years of experience
- PhD in science or engineering strongly preferred
- Experience to include responsible management/senior leadership positions working closely with sponsors, partners, stakeholders, societies, and other DOE laboratories.
- Experience in successfully setting vision, strategy, objectives, and priorities to enhance organizational performance.
- Experience with Earth and Biological Sciences mission science, stakeholders and sponsors.
- Experience and an established track record in developing productive and positive sponsor relationships.
- Experience managing large and complex programs and organizations.
- Demonstrated leadership of a high-impact R&D program, research network, strategy, or program engaging multiple institutions.
- Evidence of S&T breadth, or at least the ability to move into new areas is required.
For more information, and/or to apply, please visit: https://careers.pnnl.gov/JobOpeningId=312356