Critical Element Electrokinetic Separations Postdoc
Organization: GO-Energy Geosciences
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s (LBNL) Energy Geosciences Division has an opening for a Critical Element Electrokinetic Separations Postdoc to join the team.
In this one-of-a-kind role, you will design and implement systems for the generation and manipulation of electromagnetic signals in minerals and to detect, analyze and interpret the system response in order to demonstrate electrokinetic control over critical element separation and transport. Supervision is provided from both Geochemistry and Geophysics specialties.
What You Will Do:
• Develop methods for bench-scale electrochemical mineral alteration and selective ion transport, and
• Develop a field-deployable prototype for in situ electrokinetic ion separation and chemical conversion.
• Co-design, implement, and test lab-scale electrokinetic system for alteration of silicate minerals.
• Independently collect, analyze, and interpret electrokinetic data.
• Implement chemistry- and physics-based models for the response of hydrated silicate mineral systems to electrokinetic stimulation and use these models to augment ionic reactivity and transport in experimental systems.
• Present research results through the preparation of articles and manuscripts for peer-reviewed journals.
• Contribute to the preparation of grant proposals related to the project.
What is Required:
• Ph.D. in physics, geophysics, geochemistry, electrochemistry, materials science, or other related disciplines.
• Experience designing, augmenting and implementing electromagnetic and/or electrochemical measurement systems.
• Demonstrated track record of deriving physical and/or chemical insights from experimental data.
• Demonstrated ability to lead, complete and publish scientific research projects as part of a diverse team.
• Fluency in English and excellent writing and communication skills.
• Experience with lithium-rich minerals such as clays or spodumene
Requested Application Materials:
• Cover Letter/Research statement: Describing your related experience and interest in the position.
• Curriculum Vitae/Resume: Either an academic CV or a resume is acceptable. Be sure to highlight technical skills, interests, and synergistic activities relevant to the position.
• References: Provide contact information for three professional references with whom we may communicate regarding your work and your application.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled, however for full consideration, please apply by close of business on October 15, 2021.
• This is a full-time, two-year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 3 years of paid postdoctoral experience.
• Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://22.214.171.124/counter.php?id=209556 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Know your rights, click here for the supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law" and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4.