Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute
Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute’s engineering department is offering rare opportunities to collaborate with leading ocean researchers in shaping the future of ocean technology at our state-of-the-art facilities in Moss Landing, CA. MBARI seeks a motivated prototype machinist to work as part of a multidisciplinary team with other engineers, scientists, and marine operations personnel on the design, fabrication, testing, and maintenance of various platforms and instruments for ocean science research. Duties may include assignments that are complex in nature where considerable judgment is required in resolving problems and making recommendations.
• Ability to work independently and within multidisciplinary groups.
• At least five years’ experience with mechanical design/fabrication/machining.
• Excellent interpersonal, critical thinking, and communication skills.
• Must be able to travel occasionally and work at sea for specified periods of time.
• Ability to move a concept through design, fabrication, assembly, and testing.
• Professional, able to deliver work on tight schedules.
• Demonstrated experience as a prototype machinist
• MasterCam or similar CAM experience.
• SolidWorks or similar parametric modeling experience
• Ability to interpret and work with mechanical drawings/schematics as well as verbal request
• Familiarity with a wide variety of materials (plastics, metals, composites)
• TIG and MIG welding experience (desirable).
• Sheet metal work experience (desirable)
• Electrical drawing interpretation (desirable)
• Shipboard/small boat operation (desirable)
We are currently accepting applications for this position, which will remain open until filled. MBARI offers a competitive compensation and benefits package consistent with peer positions at other non-profit and academic institutions.
MBARI, Human Resources
Job Code: PM
7700 Sandholdt Road
Moss Landing, CA 95039
Submit your cover letter and resume by e-mail to: EngineeringCareers@mbari.org, or by mail to the above address, or by fax to (831) 775-1620.
MBARI is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. MBARI considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or covered veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
MBARI Welcomes Diversity