SZ4D Program Manager
Position title: SZ4D Program Manager (Assistant Project Scientist)
Salary range: $65,700-$72,800, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Percent time: Full-time (100%)
Anticipated start: As soon as possible after initial review of the applications.
Position duration: Initial appointment will be for one year. Reappointment may be considered contingent upon the availability of work and appropriate funding.
Open date: November 10th, 2021
Next review date: Friday, Dec 10, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Monday, Aug 1, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Seismology Group of the Department of Earth & Planetary Sciences at the University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC) invites applications for the SZ4D Program Manager. Under the direction of Professor Emily Brodsky, the SZ4D program manager will facilitate an ongoing multi-institutional effort to initiate a new research program to investigate the fundamental science underlying earthquake, volcano, tsunami and landslide hazards in subduction zones.
The SZ4D Program Manager will specifically:
• Assist in the effort envisioned by the https://www.sz4d.org/education-outreach to investigate and compile results of the equity, diversity, and capacity building programs of previous and ongoing major organized science initiatives (e.g., Earthscope, GeoPRISMS, SCEC, LTERs, and many more). This compilation will be analyzed as a means of developing “lessons learned” and best practices for the envisioned future SZ4D program.
• Coordinate SZ4D RCN communications and engagement with the broader research community. The RCN team has been working to design a comprehensive science program for SZ4D. As the scale and scope of activity has grown, it is increasingly essential that we keep robust communication open with the thousands of those who have signed onto our interest group lists as well as the community at large. Communications in the form of 1) an expanded and improved sz4d.org website, 2) organization of meetings and town halls both virtually and in-person, 3) direct email newsletters, and 4) surveys of our constituency to seek detailed feedback as the proposed implementation plans develop are will be led by the project coordinator.
• Edit and help disseminate the SZ4D implementation report. This task involves engaging with the scientific content to improve the logic, structure and presentation of the report.
Applicants with expertise in scientific communication, organizing complex group collaborations, and facilitating scientific meetings are strongly encouraged to apply.
The hiring unit will not sponsor employment-eligible immigration statuses for this position.
Seismology Group: https://websites.pmc.ucsc.edu/~seisweb/
Earth and Planetary Sciences Department: https://eps.ucsc.edu/
Basic qualifications (required at time of application)
Ph.D. (or equivalent foreign degree) in earth sciences or a related field; or a Master's degree (or equivalent foreign degree) in the previously listed fields of study plus four years’ research experience (achieved post Master’s degree) relevant to the advertised position.
• Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V., which must include a list of published articles or other scientific communication products.
• Cover Letter - Letter of application that briefly summarizes your qualifications and interest in the position .
• Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Statement addressing your understanding of the barriers facing traditionally underrepresented groups and your past and/or future contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion through teaching and professional or public service. Candidates are urged to review guidelines on statements (see https://apo.ucsc.edu/diversity.htmlhttps://apo.ucsc.edu/diversity.html) before preparing their application.
• 3-4 required (contact information only)
Applicants must provide the names and contact information of their references. The hiring unit will request confidential letters* from the references of those applicants who are under serious consideration. Please note that your references, or dossier service, will submit their confidential letters directly to the UC Recruit System.
*All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. For any reference letter provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service, career center), direct the author to UCSC’s confidentiality statement at http://apo.ucsc.edu/confstm.htm.
Apply link: https://apptrkr.com/2641769
Help contact: email@example.com
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees. Inquiries regarding the University’s equal employment opportunity policies may be directed to the Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at the University of California, Santa Cruz, CA 95064 or by phone at (831) 459-2686.
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Certain UCSC positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidate to pass an E-Verify check (see https://www.uscis.gov/e-verify). The university sponsors employment-based visas for nonresidents who are offered academic appointments at UC Santa Cruz (see https://apo.ucsc.edu/policy/capm/102.530.html).
UCSC is a smoke & tobacco-free campus.
If you need accommodation due to a disability, please contact Disability Management Services at firstname.lastname@example.org (831) 459-4602.
UCSC is committed to addressing the spousal and partner employment needs of our candidates and employees. As part of this commitment, our institution is a member of the Northern California Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (NorCal HERC). Visit the NorCal HERC website at https://www.hercjobs.org/regions/higher-ed-careers-northern-california/ to search for open positions within a commutable distance of our institution.
The University of California offers a competitive benefits package and a number of programs to support employee work/life balance. For information about employee benefits please visit https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19. All Covered Individuals under the policy must provide proof of Full Vaccination or, if applicable, submit a request for Exception (based on Medical Exemption, Disability, and/or Religious Objection) or Deferral (based on pregnancy) no later than the applicable deadline. For new University of California employees, the applicable deadline is eight weeks after their first date of employment. (Capitalized terms in this paragraph are defined in the policy.)
VISIT THE UCSC WEB SITE AT https://www.ucsc.edu
Santa Cruz, California
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2641769
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.