The HydroKlima Laboratory (http://hklab.org) at Korea Advanced Institute of Science of Technology (KAIST), South Korea is inviting applications for up to five non-tenure track assistant/associate research professors and postdoctoral scholars.
We are founding a new research team to develop a framework for integrating big-data and physical modeling components for the adaptive future strategy of humanity under global environmental changes. The following represent the key research foci, on which a successful candidate will work regarding one or more of them.
- Development of physically-, machine learning-based, and/or hybrid models for global energy-water-carbon cycles, considering human interventions
- Development of agent-based and/or data-driven models to simulate socioeconomic behaviors of humanity with respect to environmental changes
- Production of high-resolution climate dataset using dynamical downscaling and statistical bias correction
- Proxy-based climate reconstruction, satellite remote sensing applications, and model-data integration (e.g., data assimilation)
- Development of retrieval algorithm and validation for satellite remote sensing including but not limited to TRMM/GPM, GRACE, SWOT and SMAP
- Climate change impact assessment and detection/attribution of human-induced global warming
Qualifications and Skills:
- Ph.D. in a broad range of geoscience (e.g., atmospheric science, hydrology, ecology), applied mathematics, computational social science and economics
- Motivation and excellent interpersonal skills for working effectively within a transdisciplinary research team
- Expertise in statistical analysis and programming in at least one of Python, Jullia, and Fortran
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
- Minimum of two years of postdoctoral experience in related fields (only for research professor positions)
Initially, the contract period for research professor is 3 years and postdoctoral scholar is 1 year. Subject to funding availability can be renewed. Evaluation of applications will begin on January 17, 2022. Salary is negotiable based on the candidate's experience, with a basic range of $35,000-$70,000/year. We expect a successful applicant start the appointment on March 1st 2022, but it is also negotiable.
All candidates should electronically submit a KAIST application form and their cover letter to email@example.com. Applicants for research professor position should send an additional CV including contact information of two professional references. Only applications that arrived between December 20, 2021 and January 16, 2022 are valid. KAIST application forms for postdoctoral scholar and research professor are available at https://bit.ly/en-app-hklab. Any inquiries may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
KAIST is a relatively young science- and technology-oriented university located in Daejeon, South Korea. Daejeon city is about an hour south of Seoul via KTX express train. Further details and benefits, including on-campus housing, are available at the KAIST International Office (https://io.kaist.ac.kr/). Since HydroKlima Laboratory operates a satellite office in Seoul, depending on negotiation, a workspace can be set up in either Daejeon or Seoul.