Drylands cover nearly 1/3 of Earth’s surface, host 40% of its population, and are mainly located in developing countries. Groundwater recharge in drylands is dominated by focused mechanisms, such as infiltration beneath ephemeral streams, but is incompletely understood.
We are recruiting 5 graduate or undergraduate students for a National Science Foundation-funded project (International Research Experiences for Students) to study transmission losses in ephemeral streams in Morocco. The program includes (dates are tentative):
• Virtual training in techniques in hydrology, remote sensing, GIS, and hydrologic modeling (online, March 15–April 30)
• 1-week technical and cultural training workshop at University of Georgia (May 15–22)
• 5-week field project with U.S. and Moroccan researchers in Morocco (May 22–June 24)
• Virtual training in professional practice, scientific communication, and community outreach (online, August 15–December 15)
Travel expenses will be covered and a $3,000 stipend will be paid upon completion.
Ideal applicants will have a background in geology or a related discipline (for example, agricultural engineering, civil engineering, environmental engineering, environmental science, geography, or soil science). Previous coursework in hydrology, hydrogeology, remote sensing, or GIS and previous research experience are helpful but not mandatory. The ability to work in teams and openness to different cultures are advantages. Members of underrepresented groups are particularly encouraged to apply. Participants must be:
• U.S. citizens or permanent residents
• enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program in the USA at the time of application
• fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19, and able to provide a negative COVID test prior to departure to Morocco and prior to return to the USA.
Applications can be submitted at https://www.nsfetap.org/award/141/opportunity/145 (deadline February 18, 2022). For more information, contact Dr. Adam Milewski (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. Alan Fryar (email@example.com).