The research group of Dr. Zhenhua Huang in the Department of Ocean and Resources Engineering at the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa (UH) invites applications for a post-doctoral researcher position in the area of Coastal/Ocean engineering with a focus on computational fluid dynamics (CFD). Funded through the Applied Research Laboratory (ARL) at UH, the selected candidate will support a groundbreaking project to develop a living, coastal protection system in the state of Hawai‘i inspired by fringing coral reefs. This federally sponsored, 12-month position is renewable annually and dependent upon performance and availability of funds. Salary commensurate with qualifications. The selectee will be hired through the Research Corporation of the University of Hawai‘i (RCUH). The anticipated start date is May 31, 2022.
- Develop numerical models to perform simulations of wave-interaction with perforated structures in OpenFOAM or using Boundary Element Methods (BEMs)
- Mentor graduate research assistants in the group
- Prepare project reports and report research progress at project meetings
- Present the findings at research seminars and conferences
- Publish the results in the peer-reviewed scientific literature
- Contributes to preparation of research proposals, literature reviews, work plans, budgets, and related paperwork
- Explores, proposes, and tests additional ideas that may be grown into new research as time and resources permit
- Perform other duties as assigned
- A Ph.D. degree in Coastal Engineering, Ocean Engineering, Civil Engineering or closely related fields
- At least 2-3 years of experience with Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), in particular developing codes in OpenFOAM or using BEMs
- Demonstrated capacity for high-quality research
- Experience with wave flume testing a plus
Policy and/or Regulatory Requirements:
As a condition of employment, employee will be subject to all applicable RCUH policies and procedures and, as applicable, subject to University of Hawai‘i's and/or business entity's policies and procedures. Violation of RCUH's, UH's, or business entity's policies and/or procedures or applicable State or Federal laws and/or regulations may lead to disciplinary action (including, but not limited to possible termination of employment, personal fines, civil and/or criminal penalties, etc.).
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks. RCUH is an equal opportunities employer – minorities/women/disability/veteran.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, a detailed resume/CV, copies of three relevant publications, transcripts (copies acceptable with application, official document upon hire), and names, addresses, and contact information of three professional supervisory references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Inquiries: Dr. Zhenhua Huang; 808-956-8100; email@example.com.