Texas A&M University
International Ocean Discovery Program
ASSISTANT RESEARCH SCIENTIST
(IODP Expedition Project Manager/Staff Scientist)
Join our department and be a leader as an Assistant Research Scientist (IODP Title: Expedition Project Manager/Staff Scientist) with the International Ocean Discovery Program (IODP) at Texas A&M University. The JOIDES Resolution Science Operator (JRSO) manages and operates the scientific drillship, JOIDES Resolution, on behalf of the National Science Foundation (NSF) for the International Ocean Discovery Program (IODP). IODP is an international research collaboration that coordinates seagoing expeditions to study the history of the Earth recorded in sediments and rocks beneath the ocean floor. JRSO is committed to exceeding the expectations of the scientific ocean drilling community by maximizing the science the JOIDES Resolution delivers.
- Ph.D. in geosciences or related field
- Demonstrated on-going research experience is required
- Experience as a seagoing scientist, especially in scientific ocean drilling, is preferred.
- Serve as the Expedition Project Manager to coordinate all aspects of precruise expedition planning, sea-going implementation, and postcruise activities.
- Provide scientific expertise and leadership to the improvement of shipboard science activities and laboratory developments.
- Duties include sailing as the IODP scientific representative on a two-month IODP expedition approximately once every 1 to 2 years.
- Cooperate and work harmoniously with others, have the ability to be an effective team leader, and foster collaboration among diverse scientific participants.
- Demonstrated fluency in written and spoken English.
Texas A&M University is a prestigious university with strong traditions and a community of caring and collaboration. We are committed to enriching the learning environment for our students, and the working atmosphere for all our employees. We promote a culture that embraces inclusion, diversity, equity, and accountability. Diverse perspectives, talents, and identities are vital to accomplishing our mission and living our core values. Amenities associated with a major university, state-of-the-art recreation facilities, the Bush Library and Museum, and much more await you. In addition, you have access to many benefits and perks, such as:
- Health, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance with Texas A&M contributing to employee health and basic life premiums
- 12-15 days of annual paid holidays Up to eight hours of paid sick leave and at least eight hours of paid vacation each month
- Enrollment in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas or Optional Retirement Program
- Health and Wellness: Free exercise programs and release time
Salary will be commensurate with experience, this is a full-time position, and contingent upon continuing availability of funds for IODP. If you are interested in this incredible opportunity you may access the TAMU job website/process at https://jobs.tamu.edu/ and apply online with reference to Posting Number R-048466, attach a cover letter and curriculum vita, list of published papers, and statement of research interests.
Quick Link - https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/TAMU_External/details/Assistant-Research-Scientist_R-048466?q=research
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.