NIWA is a dynamic research organisation and New Zealand's largest and pre-eminent provider of climate, freshwater and marine science. Our core purpose is to enhance the economic value and sustainable management of New Zealand's aquatic resources and environments, to provide an understanding of climate and the atmosphere, and increase resilience to weather and climate hazards to improve safety and wellbeing of New Zealanders.
What we're looking for
We are seeking an early to mid-career (at least 3 years of post-PhD experience) applied scientist. This position will contribute to and lead a wide range of applied research and consultancy projects that require water quality modelling. The position is intended to build on our current work with the dynamic process-based SWAT catchment model. Tasks undertaken by the successful applicant will include incorporation of contaminant mitigation measures (such as constructed wetlands and riparian buffers) within process-based catchment models, coupling process-based catchment models to receiving-water models and to groundwater models, refining calibration methods, improving process representation, and application of catchment models to help meet freshwater management objectives.
What you will bring:
- Ideally you will have a PhD degree in environmental modelling or closely associated area
- An advanced level of skill using the SWAT catchment model, with ability to set up, run, calibrate and interpret results
- Knowledge and experience of hydrology and water quality processes. Experience in the use of QGIS or ArcInfo.
- Strong mathematics or computer modelling skills with experience of programming languages such Python, C# or FORTRAN, MatLab and R.
- Experience in preparing technical reports and scientific publications and a proven track record of successful preparation of proposals and offers of service
- Undertaking applied research and/or consulting work in water management on behalf of stakeholders (e.g., government agencies, industry groups).
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organise and lead scientific investigations are important.
We don't expect perfection in our candidates - if you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every point referenced in the position description, please still get in touch!
NIWA offers flexible working options (e.g., part-time, flexible start and finish times). We are happy to discuss potential flexible options for this position at the interview stage.
NIWA promotes the importance and value of an inclusive and diverse workforce, including the Rainbow Community, and pride ourselves on being a family-friendly and supportive workplace.