The North Mississippi Research and Extension Center (NMREC) seeks an Assistant Professor to lead the forestry Extension program based at the NMREC in Verona, Mississippi. This 100% Extension 12-month tenure-track faculty appointment will be physically and administratively housed at the North Mississippi Research and Extension Center in Verona, Mississippi with an academic home in the Department of Forestry at Mississippi State University (MSU). Promotion and tenure for this position will be administered through the Department of Forestry at MSU. This is a faculty position with MSU Extension.
The NMREC is one of four MSU Research and Extension Centers in the MSU system and is in Verona, MS approximately 1 hour driving time from the main MSU campus in Starkville, MS. The NMREC houses Extension and research faculty from several academic departments within the Division of Agriculture, Forestry, and Veterinary Medicine. It serves as the administrative hub for one of the largest groups of MSU’s 16 branch experiment stations and research units located throughout the state, having a research staff of approximately 50 employees and consisting of approximately 4,500 acres.
Specifically, the successful candidate will:
1. Provide leadership to forestry Extension programming in Northeast Mississippi and serve as a resource to County Extension Agents.
• Develop a robust Extension program in forestry based on needs assessments and funding opportunities
• Contribute to forestry education plans in the statewide Extension Plan of Work. This includes timely needs-based program planning, development, implementation, evaluation, and reporting.
• Develop and implement in-service training to Extension Agents on forestry educational programs
• Work closely with local county forestry associations to serve the needs of various forestry client groups in the assigned area
• Work cooperatively and collaboratively with other faculty in implementing forestry Extension education programs
2. Provide leadership for a comprehensive forestry program serving landowners, natural resources professionals, business and industry officials, members of public and private organizations, 4-H youth, and associated stakeholders in the Extension Northeast Region, with contributions to statewide Extension forestry programming as part of a collaborative statewide forestry Extension team.
• As a forestry team member, provide forestry subject matter expertise and provide programmatic training for Extension Agents
• Develop programmatic curricula, provide forestry subject matter technical expertise, and serve as a resource person in all areas of forestry education, emphasizing the needs of Northeast Mississippi
• Provide educational support to 4-H forestry programming
• Perform other duties to support forestry Extension programming as assigned
3. Serve as a productive Extension faculty member.
• Participate in the Forestry Extension program planning team
• Secure extramural funding to support Extension programming in forestry
• Demonstrate scholarly activity via publication in appropriate Extension outlets including peer-reviewed academic journals, Extension publications, popular press, and social media
• Recruit, train, and advise graduate students and serve on graduate committees
• Demonstrate a commitment to service through activities such as participation on department, college, and university committees and via service to appropriate professional associations
• Contribute to a collegial work environment and foster productive working relationships with Extension Agents, faculty, staff, and external stakeholders
• Build a nationally-recognized Extension program