LimnoTech is seeking an environmental engineer or scientist capable, through training and experience, of developing and automating environmental data analysis and modeling pipelines using modern data science tools. These skills will be applied to address a wide range of water resources challenges in the U.S. and globally. This position is open to working based in any of our four office locations (Ann Arbor MI - Headquarters; Washington DC; Twin Cities MN; Los Angeles CA).
The engineer or scientist hired will provide support for a variety of interesting and innovative environmental data science projects in LimnoTech’s diverse service areas, with responsibilities such as:
- Development of automated data management, analysis, visualization, and modeling pipelines using modern data science tools.
- Data processing, analysis, and visualization, typically with a geospatial context.
- Environmental database support and management, to serve as web application backends and/or as modeling system data engines.
- Modeling workflow automation to enhance the efficiency, optimization, and visualization capabilities of:
- Water quality modeling and watershed assessments
- Hydraulic and hydrologic (H&H) modeling and evaluations
- Greenhouse gas exchange and carbon sequestration modeling
- Managing development within collaborative GitHub or GitLab workflows
Initial responsibilities will be commensurate with experience and capability. Opportunities to contribute will focus on data analysis and visualization to a variety of assessment and modeling projects, with a focus on automation of data pipelines. Our scientists and engineers work closely with senior staff to develop sound approaches for addressing our clients’ problems.
LimnoTech emphasizes collaborative learning, advanced training, and professional leadership, providing team members with the tools and work environment needed to chart their career paths. Opportunities abound for increased responsibilities and professional growth. Motivated and enthusiastic team members with good interpersonal skills thrive in our collegial organization. If you like working with other smart, dedicated people solving challenging problems, we’d like to hear from you.
The following are required qualifications for this position:
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, Software Engineering, Computer Science, or related discipline from an accredited university program.
- Capabilities in environmental and geospatial data management, analysis, and visualization using modern data science tools, in Python or R.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential, as are strong analytical and computational abilities.
- Must be legally able to work in the U.S. for any employer (proper documentation is required).
The following are preferred additional qualifications for this position:
- Master’s degree in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, Software Engineering, Computer Science, or related discipline from an accredited university program.
- 2-10 years of relevant work experience.
- Machine Learning and advanced statistics experience with environmental and geospatial datasets.
- Scientific computing experience – such as vectorization of numerical algorithms using arrays and/or matrices using Python, C++, or Fortran – especially in the context of high-performance computing and distributed cloud environments.
- Experience working with relational databases, preferably PostgreSQL.
- Capabilities in environmental modeling (e.g., SWMM, EFDC, HSPF, or similar).
LimnoTech values and rewards high achievement within a supportive working community. Individual achievement is rewarded through a unique merit review process based on recommendations from colleagues at all levels of the company, plus positive feedback from clients. This system drives pay increases and increased project and corporate responsibility. We track individual progress annually to ensure competitiveness within our industry and identify opportunities for targeted professional development.
Our collegial environment and management structure aren’t for everyone; there is no formal “corporate ladder” to climb. Instead, we offer employees the opportunity to chart their own path and we provide the tools and guidance to do that.
In addition to highly competitive compensation, LimnoTech offers an outstanding benefits package, including medical, dental and vision coverage, 401k plan with company match, an employee stock ownership program (ESOP), flexible benefits program, medical leave, and more.