The Biological Systems Science Group at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is seeking a Senior Scientist in Environmental Genomics (akin to Associate Professor) who will bring an established and vigorous independent research program in environmental genomics (broadly defined) to our highly collaborative team at PNNL. You will strengthen and contribute to our established and emerging research programs in environmental and exposure sciences by developing new research directions and strategies in the microbiome sciences. We seek individuals who have expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Innovative application of ‘omics technologies (metagenomics, metatranscriptomics, metaproteomics, metabolomics) to interrogate environmental biological systems, focusing on microbes (including viruses, archaea, bacteria and eukaryotic microbes)
- Developing novel computational approaches for analysis, data mining or data visualization of ‘omics data from environmental microbiomes
- Integration of ‘omics and experimental data into models of microbial system function and/or integrating models of microbial systems into earth systems and human health models
We are looking for individuals with strong records of independent creative accomplishments, demonstrable ability to lead projects and communicate effectively with colleagues and sponsors. The ideal candidate will have a track record for scientific leadership within their field of expertise and the broader scientific community. The candidate will also be expected to provide scientific mentorship to scientists in the group and contribute to establishing new research directions.
This position is located in Richland, WA.
- BS/BA with 7 years of experience
- MS/MA with 5 years of experience
- PhD with 3 years of experience
- PhD in microbiology, microbial ecology, bioinformatics, or related field with 8+ years of experience
- Skilled professional who can independently apply, on a broad basis, existing theories, principles, and concepts
- An established Principal Investigator (PI) with a sustained track record of independent research funding
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams of scientists and manage complex projects
- A national or international reputation in their scientific community with sustained track record of disseminating research through peer-reviewed publications, invited presentations, etc
- Strong communication skills and ability to work both independently as well as in interdisciplinary group settings with internal and external collaborators
- Skills consistent with the state of the art
At PNNL, you will find an exciting research environment and excellent benefits including health insurance, flexible work schedules and telework options. PNNL is located in eastern Washington State—the dry side of Washington known for its stellar outdoor recreation and affordable cost of living. The Lab’s campus is only a 45-minute flight (or ~3 hour drive) from Seattle or Portland, and is serviced by the convenient PSC airport, connected to 8 major hubs.
For more information and/or to apply, please visit: https://careers.pnnl.gov
Questions? Please contact Kim Willer at email@example.com