Job Title: Oceanographer (Coastal Modeler)
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Clearance Required: Public Trust Eligible (Ability to obtain)
IBSS seeks a full-time Coastal Modeler to support National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Center for Operational Oceanographic Products and Services (CO-OPS) in Silver Spring, MD. CO-OPS is the authoritative source for accurate, reliable, and timely tides, water levels, currents, and other coastal oceanographic and meteorological information. If you are looking to be an instrumental part of a growing, employee and customer-focused company working on exciting issues in environmental science and other marine/coastal resources, we want to hear from you!
- Assist CO-OPS with the transition and implementation of new hydrodynamic coastal models, coastal model upgrades, and new modeling capabilities (e.g., data assimilation or coastal coupling) in the supercomputing environment at NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Prediction, where NOS operational forecast systems are run.
- Support the development, analysis, and implementation of a new coastal model along the East and Gulf Coasts.
- Couple coastal models with riverine models, or improving existing coastal models.
- Analyze the output from coastal models (those in operation or development) to assess the skill of the nowcast and forecast guidance.
- Evaluate model predictions against observations, or assess the integration of model output with other products and services.
Required Skills /Education/ Certifications & Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in oceanography, meteorology, hydrology, or a closely related discipline plus four years of relevant experience in hydrodynamic modeling on high-performance computing systems. A PhD in one of the above fields may substitute for the master’s degree and four years of experience.
- Must understand oceanographic principles, theories, and practices, as well as oceanographic, atmospheric, riverine, and/or hydrologic models.
- Extensive computing skills (e.g., shell scripts, Fortran, IDL, MATLAB, Python), as well as proficiency with the Microsoft Windows and Linux operating systems, Microsoft Office applications, and Google’s Collaboration Suite (e.g., Docs, Sheets, and Slides).
- Strong oral and written communication skills, as well as a demonstrated ability to work well independently and as part of a team, are required.
- Must have strong organization skills, attention to detail, and a demonstrated ability to self-manage their workload and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, Earth System Modeling Framework and NOAA's Environmental Modeling System.
- Familiarity with the Regional Ocean Modeling System (ROMS), Finite Volume Coastal Ocean Model (FVCOM), ADCIRC, and/or SCHISM.
- Experience transitioning hydrodynamic models into operational applications.
- General database and query experience.
About IBSS Corp.
IBSS is a Woman-Owned business. Since 1992, IBSS has provided specialized professional, scientific, technical, cybersecurity, IT, and software engineering solutions to the Federal sector. Our clients include the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the Department of Defense (DoD), and the Department of Justice (DOJ). We are committed to serving our clients and employees by delivering service excellence, creating value through technology, and continually improving our skills, services, and processes. Moreover, we maintain an ISO 9001:2015 certification which allows us to optimize current industry best practices to enhance delivery outcomes for our clients.
IBSS offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and prescription drug coverage with company-paid deductible, paid time off, federal holidays, matching 401K plan, tuition/professional development reimbursement, and Flex-Spending (FSA)/Dependent Care Account (DCA) options.
IBSS is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.