The Virginia Tech Department of Geosciences invites applications for a full-time Research Associate in the area of Earthquake Seismology. The candidate will provide scientific, technical, and operational support for the recently installed Hampton Roads Seismic Network (HRSN), which is a 5-station seismic network in southeast Virginia. Day-to-day activities will be in the Department of Geosciences with occasional deployments to southeast Virginia and research-oriented conferences/meetings. Specific duties include:
- Seismic network monitoring, including earthquake detection and hypocenter determination
- Data quality control/assurance and archiving
- Troubleshooting, maintenance and repair of HRSN seismic stations and telemetry systems
- Project reporting and client communications
- Research activities including independent research, scientific publishing, and research dissemination.
This position is supported by two years of grant funding with the opportunity for renewal. Preferred work site is at the Virginia Tech main campus in Blacksburg, Virginia, but alternate work sites within the central and eastern United States may be considered.
- MS in Geosciences, Geological/Geotechnical Engineering or closely related field
- Demonstrated professional or academic experience in earthquake seismology
- Commitment to inclusivity, diversity, equity and accessibility, including the ability to work productively with a team of people comprising diverse educational, technological, language and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to travel and perform work in domestic locations.
- Ability to manage travel arrangements and follow environmental health and safety requirements at industrial facilities.
- Ability to lift and carry 25+ lbs. of equipment on even/uneven terrain with or without the aid of hand truck/dolly/cart.
- Experience in seismic network operations, seismic data analysis and maintenance of broadband seismic stations and associated telemetry systems.
- PhD in Geosciences, Geological/Geotechinical Engineering or closely related field
- Experience with Antelope real-time seismic network data acquisition and processing software or similar internet data telemetry systems.
- Experience with Seismic Analysis Code (SAC) and/or ObsPy.
- Experience with Linux/Unix computing and scripting.
- Experience with Python, Fortran, C, and/or C++ programming languages.
Candidates will upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references. For additional information about the position, please contact Dr. Ryan M. Pollyea (firstname.lastname@example.org).