- Shape and grow the strategic direction of hydrological research at CSIRO Lead multi-organisational and multi-disciplinary integrative science projects Collaborative, inclusive and flexible workplace – hybrid work arrangements offered
CSIRO Land and Water delivers solutions for sustainable development and stewardship of land, water, ecosystems and communities, valued at more than $12 billion in triple bottom line benefits. Through integrated systems research approach we provide the information and technologies required by government, industry and the Australian and international communities to protect, restore, and manage natural and built environments.
As the Senior Principal Hydrologist, you will lead large multi-organisational and multi-disciplinary projects to support current and future integrative research within CSIRO Land and Water. The position will shape new opportunities and strategies within the broader water research portfolio. A key focus of this position will be ensuring CSIRO continues to:
- meet the science needs of the Murray-Darling Basin, and the broader Water Security needs of Australia,
- grow science and impact leadership in hydrological research,
- develop integrative science opportunities, where water is a key driver of change,
- build and deliver system-scale, integrative water science opportunities.
Your duties will include:
- Provide strategic leadership and lead large multi-organisational and multi-disciplinary projects to support the science and impact needs of the Murray-Darling Basin and Water Security needs of Australia.
- Use scientific knowledge on water, together with vision and influence, to deliver outcomes of importance to science, the economy, society and the environment.
- To establish new partnerships and develop new collaborations, projects and initiatives, with a focus on national and international challenges of Water Security.
- Be recognised as a national/international expert in a relevant scientific field through a record of scientific creativity and innovation.
- Serve on government/industry advisory committees and nurture relationships to ensure research directly informs policy and practice.
- Work collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team to carry out tasks in support of CSIRO’s scientific objectives.
Location: Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Adelaide, or Perth
Salary: AU$169k – AU$212k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in an area of hydrological (groundwater or surface water) science.
- Demonstrated world-class leadership in surface and/or ground water resources and integrated water assessments and intersections with mining, agriculture, infrastructure, environment and communities.
- Extensive experience in industry and applied research, developing and delivering at scale projects for Water Security Challenges.
- A demonstrated publication history of authorship on scientific papers in peer reviewed journals and/or reports, grant applications or inventorship on patent applications.
- Evidence of national and international influence, stakeholder networks, engagement and business development skills.
- Evidence of creating and leading strategic water security initiatives for an enterprise or a large team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, evidenced by high-level reporting, presentation and negotiation abilities, and the capacity to identify and influence critical stakeholders to gain support for complex proposals/ideas.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
At CSIRO, Australia’s national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role. Please apply here: https://jobs.csiro.au/job-invite/88842/
7 November 2022, 11:00 pm AEST/AEDT