The Paleoclimate and Climate Change Lab at Brown University seeks a Research Associate (RA) to provide high-level oversight to the lab and to support and contribute to a diverse portfolio of research projects. The RA will manage operations of the lab's analytical facilities including ICPOES and cavity ringdown spectrometers, and provide assistance to student research assistants and visiting researchers alike. Responsibilities include instrument operation, scheduling, and maintenance; lab purchasing and related paperwork; sample preparation; data and metadata analysis, quality control, and archival; training and oversight of student research assistants and other lab personnel; ensuring compliance with environmental health and safety guidelines. The RA will also engage in independent research projects including fostering external collaborations, drafting of manuscripts, and preparation of grants.
This position is a full-time, 12-month position funded partially by grants with the possibility of renewal.
Education and Experience
• Master’s Degree in geosciences or related field with a minimum of 5 years of experience (or equivalent combination of education and experience).
• Ph.D. is preferred.
• Prior experience in climate, paleoclimate, and/or oceanographic research.
• Experience operating analytical instrumentation.
• Experience with data analysis and visualization software (e.g. R, Matlab, Python)
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Experience with Google suite, MS Office, and data analysis and visualization software (e.g. R, Matlab, Python).
• Scientific writing and reporting.
• Experience in training and mentoring undergraduate and graduate students.
• Experience in the analysis of high-resolution climate archives such as corals, speleothems, tree rings, ice cores, lake, and marine sediments, etc.
• Project management experience preferred.
• Preparation of proposals for sponsored research.
• Demonstrated ability to support a community of diverse perspectives and cultures in an inclusive environment.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal background check and education verification that are satisfactory to Brown University.