LimnoTech is seeking an environmental software developer capable, through training and experience, of developing environmental software web applications and/or environmental modeling software systems. These skills will be applied to address a wide range of water resources challenges in the U.S. and globally. This position is open to work based in any of our four offices (Ann Arbor MI - Headquarters; Washington DC; Twin Cities MN; Los Angeles CA).
The developer hired will provide support for a variety of interesting and innovative environmental software development projects in LimnoTech’s diverse service areas, with responsibilities such as:
- Development of decision support tools and data portals
- Web front-end user interface development
- Environmental database support and management, to serve as web application backends and/or as modeling system data engines
- Managing development within collaborative GitHub or GitLab workflows
- Potentially supporting data processing, analysis, and visualization, typically with a geospatial context
- Potentially supporting modeling software and package development to advance capabilities of:
- Water quality modeling and watershed assessments
- Hydraulic and hydrologic (H&H) modeling and evaluations
- Greenhouse gas exchange and carbon sequestration modeling
Initial responsibilities will be commensurate with experience and capability. Opportunities to contribute will focus on code development of environmental software systems, such as conservation decision support web applications, environmental monitoring data portals, and/or automation of data pipelines for modeling and analysis. Our developers work closely with our senior environmental engineers and scientists to develop sound approaches for addressing our clients’ needs and challenges.
LimnoTech emphasizes collaborative learning, advanced training, and professional leadership, providing team members with the tools and work environment needed to chart their career paths. Opportunities abound for increased responsibilities and professional growth. Motivated and enthusiastic team members with good interpersonal skills thrive in our collegial organization. If you like working with other smart, dedicated people solving challenging problems, we’d like to hear from you.
The following are required qualifications for this position:
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, Software Engineering, Software Science, or related discipline from an accredited university program.
- Capabilities in environmental and geospatial data management, analysis, and visualization using modern data science tools.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential, as are strong analytical and computational abilities.
- Must be legally able to work in the U.S. for any employer (proper documentation is required).
The following are preferred additional qualifications for this position:
- Master’s degree in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, Software Engineering, Computer Science, or related discipline from an accredited university program.
- 2-10 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience working with relational databases, preferably PostgreSQL.
- Scientific computing experience – such as vectorization of numerical algorithms using arrays and/or matrices using Python, C++, or Fortran – especially in the context of high-performance computing and distributed cloud environments.
- Capabilities in environmental modeling (e.g., SWMM, EFDC, HSPF, or similar).
LimnoTech values and rewards high achievement within a supportive working community. Individual achievement is rewarded through a unique merit review process based on recommendations from colleagues at all levels of the company, plus positive feedback from clients. This system drives pay increases and increased project and corporate responsibility. We track individual progress annually to ensure competitiveness within our industry and identify opportunities for targeted professional development.
Our collegial environment and management structure aren’t for everyone; there is no formal “corporate ladder” to climb. Instead, we offer employees the opportunity to chart their own path and we provide the tools and guidance to do that.
In addition to highly competitive compensation, LimnoTech offers an outstanding benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision coverage, 401k plan with company match, an employee stock ownership program (ESOP), flexible benefits program, medical leave, and more.