Arizona State University (ASU, www.asu.edu) is searching for the next director of the Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences (BIOS, http://www.bios.edu/), located in Bermuda. BIOS is a research center within the Julie Ann Wrigley Global Futures Laboratory (GFL, https://globalfutures.asu.edu/) at ASU. The position includes a concurrent appointment as a Professor in the newly formed School of Ocean Futures (SOF) (https://schoolofocceanfutures.asu.edu/). The anticipated start date for this position is July 1, 2023.
Founded in 1903 as the Bermuda Biological Station for Research (BBSR), BIOS has grown from a small marine biological center and field station to an excellent ocean science research and education facility. Home to three of the longest ocean time series, the researchers at BIOS are committed to using their science for the benefit of people around the globe including government representatives, environmental management officials, community leaders, and citizens by providing knowledge, education and decision support. BIOS is home to the research vessel (R/V) Atlantic Explorer, a U.S. flagged ocean class vessel in the U.S. Academic Research Fleet (ARF), operated by BIOS as a UNOLS (University-National Oceanographic Laboratory System) designated operator. BIOS also provides faculty and staff—as well as visiting scientists and students—with well-equipped labs to support numerous scientific endeavors. BIOS routinely hosts researchers and students from around the world in collaborative efforts to expand global understanding of marine organisms, processes, and functions.
ASU is leading a bold reinvention of higher education; ranked #1 for innovation by US News and World Report eight years in a row and #1 in the U.S. on the Times Higher Education rankings for impact three years in a row. ASU has thrived on an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy, and broad access. ASU serves more than 150,000 students on five campuses in the Phoenix metropolitan area, one of the fastest growing urban centers in the nation, DC, LA, and globally through ASU Online. The creation of ASU’s Julie Ann Wrigley Global Futures Laboratory in 2019 presents the next leap in the evolution of ASU as one of the world’s premier centers for studies of sustainability and future design.
BIOS and the School of Ocean Futures are the central entities within the Global Futures Laboratory for innovative discovery, learning, solutions, and engagement related to the ocean. BIOS and SOF focus on exploring future states of the oceans and their impact on global society. In Tempe, the school resides in a new, state of the art high-performance research facility dedicated in April 2022, the Rob and Melani Walton Center for Planetary Health.
Essential Duties of the Director of BIOS
- Guide the vision for the next decade of BIOS, aimed at maintaining and further developing its excellence in scientific research and education in close collaboration with the director of the Global Futures Laboratory and the director of the School of Ocean Futures. Manage operations of BIOS. Mentor faculty and scientific staff resident on the BIOS campus in Bermuda in collaboration with the director of the School of Ocean Futures. Identify and secure new research opportunities and develop robust funding strategies. Support efforts in diversity, equity and inclusion. Expand BIOS’ outreach initiatives. Support the development efforts for BIOS through engagement with individuals, corporations, and foundations.
Salary and start-up funding will be competitive and commensurate with qualifications. The director of BIOS is expected to reside primarily in Bermuda.
● An earned doctorate in an ocean sciences-related field.
● A record of distinguished scholarly research and/or professional accomplishments that merits appointment as a full professor.
● A demonstrated record in a major leadership role including overseeing administrative functions as well as outreach and fundraising.
● Demonstrated commitment to enhancing diversity, equity and inclusion.
● Visionary leadership in a complex and rapidly developing academic environment.
● Demonstrated experience in program development in research and education.
● Demonstrated commitment to teaching and academic innovation.
● Commitment to solutions-oriented research.
● Demonstrated commitment to fundraising, grant development, and fostering interactions among multiple stakeholders.
● Capacity to engage faculty members across a broad range of disciplines.
● Evidence of excellent communication and organizational skills.
To apply for the BIOS Director position, http://apply.interfolio.com/117762 candidates are requested to submit 1) a curriculum vitae, 2) a letter of interest that addresses the leadership opportunities in the profile, 3) a separate statement that addresses how past and/or potential contributions to diversity and inclusion will advance ASU’s commitment to inclusive excellence, and 4) contact information for four references (to be contacted with candidate’s permission at a later date). Review of applications will begin on January 3, 2023; if not filled, applications will be evaluated every week thereafter until the search is closed.
A background check is required for employment. Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
COVID-19 vaccination- Arizona State University is a federal contractor and subject to federal regulations which may require you to produce a record of a COVID-19 vaccination. For questions about medical or religious accommodations please visit https://cfo.asu.edu/workplace-accommodations.