Taylor Geospatial Institute – Chief Data Scientist
- Saint Louis University
- Saint Louis, Missouri
- Closing date
- Mar 3, 2023
- Biogeosciences, Geochemistry, GeoHealth
- Career Level
- Education Level
- Job Type
- Relocation Cost
- Sector Type
The Taylor Geospatial Institute at Saint Louis University invites applications, nominations, and inquiries for the role of Chief Data Scientist. The Institute seeks to recruit an innovative technical leader in geospatial research and development who will bring a broad vision of the opportunity set for this rapidly growing enterprise located at the heart of a uniquely resourced regional hub of geospatial sciences innovation and development.
The Taylor Geospatial Institute (TGI) launched in early 2022 as an interdisciplinary community of preeminent scientists that draws on the distinctive strengths and state-of-the-art computing infrastructure of eight research institutions to create and scale innovative, cutting-edge research programs that make a positive impact through the many disciplines that constitute geospatial science. TGI’s mission is to “advance geospatial science through multi-institutional, interdisciplinary collaborations in order to create innovative, real-world solutions to societal grand challenges.”
Working directly with and reporting to the Institute Director, the Chief Data Scientist (CDS) will lead a team of geospatial computing engineers, software developers, geospatial data scientists, imagery scientists and analysts to provide data curation (access, collection, and fusion) and analytics services to TGI partners. The CDS provides both hands-on, technical leadership of projects and initiatives and strategic direction of programs and investments that will build out and scale TGI’s leading-edge resources. The CDS serves as the leading member of TGI Geospatial Data & Analytics Library team, directing the development of algorithms and methodologies for various projects, as well as taking responsibility for prioritizing service requests and deliverables that advance the work of TGI members and partners.
The current vision for the role expects an approximately 70%/30% balance technical and managerial activity. This balance will likely evolve as the Institute’s resources and programs mature and as the team under the CDS grows.
Competencies and Qualifications:
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement machine learning algorithms for regression, detection/classification/segmentation problems with feature-based deep learning and end-to-end mapping/modeling with convolutional neural networks
- Experience in cloud computing and GPU computing
- Minimum of three years of experience in working with coding and online platforms such as Python, Jupyter Notebooks, Google Earth Engine, GitHub, and/or Google COLAB
- Experience with data collection in the field and generating analysis ready data sets from multiple sources
- Experience with project management and personnel supervision
- Organizational skills and the ability to multitask and prioritize projects while working on a deadline or in a fast-paced environment
- Personal qualities of integrity, professionalism, good judgment, a strong work ethic, and a commitment to service and treating others with respect
- Graduate degree in geospatial science or geoinformatics or a closely related field is required. A PhD in computer science, electronic engineering, geoinformatics, geospatial science or geography with demonstrated work experience in geospatial data such as imagery or location-aware social or health data records is preferred.
Saint Louis University has retained Opus Partners to support this recruitment. Craig Smith, Partner and Thomas Lapierre, Senior Associate & Certified Diversity Recruiter, are leading the search. For more information or to apply, please contact Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should include a resume and cover letter that should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred competencies and qualifications.
Saint Louis University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for the position applied for without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors. We welcome and encourage applications from minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities (including disabled veterans). If accommodations are needed for completing the application and/or with the interviewing process, please contact Human Resources at 314-977-5847.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert