- Stanford, California
- Closing date
- Apr 26, 2023
- Career Level
- Education Level
- Relocation Cost
- Sector Type
- Industry/Private Sector
RockFix is an early-stage, climate-tech start-up founded by Stanford and Harvard alumni. RockFix is developing technology to permanently store billions of tons of CO2 in mine waste, enabling the mining industry to become part of the climate solution. We are currently in the lab developing chemical processes and identifying target waste or tailings sources that are best suited to our CO2 storage process.
The RockFix team is focused on building a company that delivers a scaled climate solution and a great experience for our team. We value Doing Good, Performing with Integrity, Being Accountable, Creating a Community of Trust, and Building the Future.
RockFix is supported by Breakthrough Energy Explorer Grants, the New York State Energy Research & Development Agency’s Venture For ClimateTech accelerator, and Stanford’s TomKat Solutions awards.
We are excited to announce our search for a Geochemist.
Applicants, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your interest and resume.
The Geochemist will be a key, early member of the RockFix team. They will help develop RockFix’s technology from bench to pilot scale and beyond. Key responsibilities include developing metal extraction/leaching systems with various tailing inputs and carbonation processes. They will work with the CTO by leading the experimentation process with their geologic insight and experience. They will use this information to design an R&D roadmap to de-risk and scale up RockFix’s accelerated weathering technology. They will also work closely with the CEO to procure tailings samples and other mine waste.
- Lead the R&D team’s effort in extractive metallurgy by designing experiments, setups, and analysis methods by incorporating mineralogical and geologic expertise.
- Work closely with the process engineering team to integrate and scale up the metal extraction processes.
- Work closely with the process engineering team to optimize and scale up the alkaline metal carbonation process.
- Support material characterization program; build a database for material received from mining companies and tested in RockFix’s R&D, including mine tailings & waste rocks.
- Contribute to assessments of fit for RockFix’s solution at different mine sites alongside chemistry and other geology experts (e.g., evaluating the compatibility of RockFix technology with specific geology, assessing the compatibility of mill/RockFix process conditions, etc.).
- Communicating technical information to non-technical audiences in a comprehensible and concise manner.
- Contribute to process development and work planning.
- Establishing and managing relationships with geology and exploration teams across the mining industry.
- Problem-solve, deliver insights, and contribute to non-technical deliverables such as market analyses, pitch decks, and white papers.
- Support leadership team in strategic planning, such as mineral selection and industry & partner development.
- Work Environment
- Work will be conducted in a hybrid fashion, with in person work in the Bay Area.
- Some travel may be required to mine sites in remote locations, likely around 1 visit per quarter.
- Our non-negotiables are safety, collaboration, and trust.
- BS/MS/PhD in geochemistry, geology, chemistry, materials & metallurgical engineering, or a related field.
- 4+ years of academic research/industry experience in roles with metal extraction, mineral leaching, geometallurgy, aqueous metal recovery, and/or relevant research experience.
- Lab experience and ability to troubleshoot technical problems in software/computation and experimental apparatuses.
- Either have, or be able to apply for, US work authorization
- Comfortable with working under uncertainty and fit-for-purpose analysis.
- Must be able to prioritize rapidly changing work, meet deadlines, and work with minimal supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills and comfortable working in multidisciplinary groups.
- Creativity in developing and evaluating alternative solutions to realize business opportunities.
- Experience with mineral reaction modeling software (e.g., Crunchflow, ToughReact).
- Knowledge and experience with carbonate minerals.
- Exposure to geometallurgy and mine-to-mill campaigns.
- Exposure to business development, operations, licensing, economic evaluations.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. ROCKFIX, INC. 2023.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert