Chemical Process Design Engineer
- Stanford, California
- Closing date
- Apr 26, 2023
- Career Level
- Education Level
- Relocation Cost
- Sector Type
- Industry/Private Sector
Chemical Process Design Engineer
RockFix is an early-stage, climate-tech start-up founded by Stanford and Harvard alumni. RockFix is developing technology to permanently store billions of tons of CO2 in mine waste, enabling the mining industry to become part of the climate solution. We are currently in the lab developing chemical processes and identifying target waste or tailings sources that are best suited to our CO2 storage process.
The RockFix team is focused on building a company that delivers a scaled climate solution and a great experience for our team. We value Doing Good, Performing with Integrity, Being Accountable, Creating a Community of Trust, and Building the Future.
RockFix is supported by Breakthrough Energy Explorer Grants, the New York State Energy Research & Development Agency’s Venture For ClimateTech accelerator, and Stanford’s TomKat Solutions awards.
We are excited to announce our search for a Chemical Process Design Engineer.
Applicants, please email email@example.com with your interest and resume.
The Chemical Process Design Engineer will be a key, early member of the RockFix team. They will help develop RockFix’s technology from bench to pilot scale and beyond. The engineer will lead the effort in both R&D and project development work. They will be responsible for (1) supporting benchtop experimentation by supplying design engineering considerations & scale-up insights and (2) leading preliminary pilot-scale system designs. The position will work closely with and report to the CTO in the lab and remotely, as required by the project’s stage.
- Assist scientific team in designing experiments, setups, and analysis methods by incorporating design engineering principles with an eye for process scale-up.
- Lead the development of scientific computing models, process models, and analytical tools to leverage empirical data for design decisions.
- Translate experimental data into actionable insights and design & development considerations for scale-up and commercial processes.
- Prepare documents on design basis, philosophy, and control narratives.
- Lead development of preliminary and detailed process designs (HMBs, PFDs, hydraulic models, equipment design, etc.).
- Incorporate process and personnel safety into the process and facility design.
- Contribute to assessments of fit for RockFix’s solution at different mine sites alongside geology and chemistry experts (e.g., evaluating the compatibility of RockFix technology with specific geology, assessing the compatibility of mill/RockFix process conditions).
- Oversee and review engineering contractor work.
- Communicating technical information to non-technical audiences in a comprehensible and concise manner.
- Contribute to non-technical deliverables such as market analyses, pitch decks, and white papers.
- Contribute to process development and work planning.
- Support leadership team in strategic planning, such as mineral selection and industry & partner development.
- Support leadership team with technical recruiting.
- Work Environment
- Work will be conducted in a hybrid fashion, with in person work in the Bay Area.
- Some travel may be required to mine sites in remote locations, likely around 1 visit per quarter.
- Our non-negotiables are safety, collaboration, and trust.
- BS/MS/PhD in chemical, metallurgical, material engineering or related fields.
- 4+ years of industry experience in roles with design responsibilities, process model evaluation, process engineering, process troubleshooting, techno-economic optimization, and/or relevant research experience.
- Exposure to scale-up engineering, such as beaker to benchtop reactor, bench to pilot, pilot to demonstration/commercial scale, or dimensional analysis.
- Experience with scientific computing for chemical engineering and process modeling/simulation software, such as Aspen or OLI.
- Experience in conceptual, planning/preliminary, and/or detailed engineering.
- Experience with engineering contractors and contractor management.
- Experience with fabricating lab-scale mockups and prototypes.
- Either have, or be able to apply for, US work authorization
- Comfortable with working under uncertainty and fit-for-purpose analysis.
- Prioritize rapidly changing work, meet deadlines, and work with minimal supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills and comfortable working in multidisciplinary groups (e.g., fast-paced startup settings and traditional mining environments).
- Creativity in developing alternative solutions to realize business opportunities.
- Prior experience in mining, mineral processing, metal refining, or working in remote mine communities is an asset.
- Professional engineering designation.
- Safety engineering, HAZOP experience.
- Exposure to business development, operations, licensing, economic evaluations.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. ROCKFIX, INC. 2023.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert