Full-Time Instructor, Geography
- Mott Community College
- Flint, Michigan (US)
- 40k - 60k / Yearly Salary
- Closing date
- May 27, 2023
Who we are:
Mott Community College is student-centered and mission-driven to ensure that all our students thrive and reach their fullest potential. As an institution, we are action-oriented and intentional in dismantling every systemic barrier that prevents the excellence of students from underrepresented communities.
As Mott Community College deepens its commitment to equity, it is of the highest priority that we focus our hiring process to seek individuals with the expertise to lead our institution in serving students from underrepresented communities. This is an opportunity for the college community to continue to act upon our values but more importantly for the empowering of our students’ self-efficacy, for cultivating a sense of belonging, and for the diversity of our entire student body being reflected in a position of power in the classroom.
Purpose, Scope & Dimension of Job: Faculty facilitate student learning and initiate and participate in efforts to consistently improve the level of student success. As learning facilitators, faculty consistently assess learning outcomes and their own teaching effectiveness. As professionals, faculty adhere to the ethical standards of their profession as outlined, for example, by the NEA and the State of Michigan. Where applicable, faculty maintain licensure and certifications. In addition, full-time faculty have the following key responsibilities which are described more fully below in the Essential Duties/Major Accountabilities section:
- Professional development
- Curriculum/Program Development
- Service/Citizenship Responsibilities to the Students, Program, Division, and College
- Safety Training and Adherence
Specific Teaching Assignment:
Faculty members will be responsible for teaching classes in areas of geography.
Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Master’s degree in Geography, Geoscience, or closely related from an accredited institution with 18 or more graduate hours in Geography.
- Understanding of and commitment to community college teaching, mission and philosophy.
- Innovative, flexible, positive, and equity-minded teaching style and understanding the needs of students from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to teach effectively in multiple teaching modalities including face to face, hybrid, hyflex, and fully online.
Additional Desirable Qualifications
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Doctorate in geography.
- Demonstrated recent higher education teaching experience.
- Extensive experience with regional cultures demonstrated by research, travel, business relations or other cultural interactions with a specific region of the world.
- Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- An interest in developing new courses and programs.
- Demonstrated familiarity with the Canvas course management system, and the Microsoft Office and Google Suite software packages.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
- The employee must be able to move about 2/3 of the time and be stationary about 1/3 of the time. S/he is required to be mobile around campus for participant involvement/activities.
- S/he must be able to converse with individuals on a regular basis with the ability to read, analyze, and interpret their needs via phone conversations, face-to-face conversations, or written documentation.
- The employee must be able to utilize all programs on a computer independently and efficiently.
- S/he must be able to present information in an instructional setting and respond to questions from groups.
Full-time faculty are obligated to teach during fall and winter, but are not required to teach in the summer semester. Faculty are required to maintain student communications/engagement as necessary. Full-time faculty are required to perform many of their professional responsibilities year-round even if they are not teaching in the summer.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/ayKPB1TbEmZOOTKGnTdaVn
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert