Nature Research is the world’s leader in publishing high-quality research from across the natural sciences. Its journals include Nature, the Nature Research journals, the Nature Reviews journals and Nature Communications.
Nature Communications is the leading multidisciplinary Open Access journal, publishing high-quality scientific research. To help us to build on the success of this journal, we’re seeking either a geophysicist with a strong background in either geodynamics, seismology or structural geology. Or a biogeochemist with a strong background in either marine biogeochemistry, terrestrial biogeochemistry, fluvial biogeochemistry, or carbon and other element cycles. You will have a critical eye, a deep understanding of your subject and interests beyond, and will be able to think on their feet.
The Associate/Senior Editor role at Nature Communications is ideal for researchers who love science but feel that a career at the bench isn’t enough to sate your desire to learn more about the natural world and for those who enjoy reading papers outside their chosen area of research.
The responsibilities include:
- Handling original research papers, and working closely with other editors on all aspects of the editorial process, including manuscript selection and overseeing peer review.
- Making well-reasoned editorial decisions on submitted manuscripts in the light of expert advice.
- Determining the representation of their subject in the journal.
- Liaising extensively with editors at other journals in the Nature family and with experts in the international scientific community.
- Attending conferences and visiting research institutions.
To be considered for the position, you will have:
- A PhD (or equivalent) in geophysics or biogeochemistry. This could include, but is not limited to geodynamics, seismology, or tectonics; marine biogeochemistry, terrestrial biogeochemistry, fluvial biogeochemistry, or carbon and other element cycles.
- Some postdoctoral research experience is preferred but not essential. A thorough understanding of the fundamentals of the subject is essential.
- A passion for science and a thirst to learn more. You must be able to demonstrate the breadth of your interest in scientific research, both within and beyond your speciality and across the wider field of Earth Science.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be fluent in English (written and spoken).
- The ability to read and assess the novelty, context and implications of research submitted to the journal from different areas of this discipline.
- Be eager to travel and meet scientists worldwide, learn more about them and their research, and help them learn more about us and what we are looking for in the papers we seek to publish.
This role can be located in our Beijing, Hong Kong, Jersey City, Nanjing, New York, Philadelphia, Shanghai, Washington DC offices on a hybrid model. The position is offered on a full-time, permanent basis. Editorial experience is not required, although applicants with significant editorial experience are encouraged to apply and will potentially be considered for Senior Editor positions.
Closing date: Please apply ASAP as candidates will be considered as they apply.
Applicants should include a CV, a cover letter explaining their interest in the post and their preferred office of employment, and a concise (300-400 words) discussion of recent scientific developments in any area of geophysics that you found particularly exciting, stating why. Please place this at the end of cover letter.
At Springer Nature, we are committed to creating a great working environment which includes the benefits you receive, opportunities for you to develop your skills and ways to get to know your colleagues. Some of these include:
- Support networks that focus on fostering dialogue around diversity, community building, advice and advocacy
- Wellbeing initiatives to support in maintaining a healthy work life balance
- 24-hour access to our learning and development platform Leap and LinkedIn Learning to help develop your skills
Further details regarding benefits and hybrid working in your preference of location will be discussed during the interview process.