IBES Associate Director of Communications
- Institute at Brown for Environment and Society
- 85 Waterman Street, Providence, Rhode Island (US)
- Grade 11
- Closing date
- Jun 18, 2023
- Career Level
- Any Experience Level Considered
- Education Level
- Job Type
- Relocation Cost
- Sector Type
Brown University is a leading research university distinct for its student-centered learning and deep sense of purpose. Our students, faculty and staff are driven by the idea that their work will have an impact in the world.
Brown University offers a flexible work/life balance; summer hours, winter break and a comprehensive Benefits package including time off, annual paid holidays; benefits offerings including health, dental, vision, tuition assistance, retirement, wellness, employee discounts and more. To learn about Brown University’s benefits, visit the University Human Resources web page here for further information.
About the Opportunity
At this dynamic cross-campus center, the Institute at Brown for Environment and Society (IBES), students and faculty conduct groundbreaking research and build creative solutions to complex 21st-century problems in climate and sustainability. Work at IBES combines an understanding of the natural world and human dimensions because environmental stewardship, human rights, and economic well-being are inextricably linked.
Through our unique interdisciplinary approach, IBES cultivates actionable research outcomes, while equipping and empowering the change agents of tomorrow through our rigorous and diverse academic programs.
IBES faculty, staff, and students play key roles in the global conversation about environmental issues – on campus, at the State House, in boardrooms, and at the United Nations.
At Brown, and within IBES, we celebrate diversity in all its forms, and work together to create a collaborative, inclusive, and equitable work environment where everyone can achieve their professional goals.
We seek an Associate Director of Communications to serve as a dynamic strategist and content creator, responsible for overseeing and contributing to the full portfolio of communications for the Institute at Brown for Environment and Society (IBES). The Associate Director of Communications is responsible for the development and execution of communications strategies and workflow to advance IBES’s new 2023-2028 Strategic Plan, focused on solutions-engaged interdisciplinary research and education. The Associate Director of Communications also plays a key coordination and information-sharing role with IBES-affiliated initiatives and programs across campus and beyond, and with IBES partner units at Brown.
Reporting to the Director of IBES, this position guides communications strategy for IBES, develops and manages all strategic communications plans in consultation with IBES senior leadership, and leads efforts to expand the brand recognition of IBES. In particular, this position will lead the development and implementation of a new IBES Communications Plan, as outlined in the new Strategic Plan. The position oversees all internal and external communications activities, including press releases, annual reports, newsletters, marketing for all IBES-sponsored and co-sponsored events, and web and social media content. This position oversees the drafting of original news stories, working proactively with the IBES community, and engages external media in seeking coverage for newsworthy items.
An expert writer and communicator, the Associate Director of Communications ensures accuracy and consistency across all communications platforms; places a high priority on understanding issues that impact communication effectiveness across multiple types of media; and works to ensure that IBES is able to continuously grow its audiences and constituencies. This position tailors messaging to key audiences across communications platforms to effectively disseminate information about IBES, including alumni, the general public, journalists, Brown students, senior administrators, etc.
A key aspect of the Associate Director of Communications responsibilities is coordinating communications across a complex landscape of environmental, climate, and sustainability research and education at Brown; this includes coordinating IBES communications activities with each of the departments at Brown that house IBES faculty and IBES-affiliated graduate students and postdoctoral scholars. It also requires coordination with centers and initiatives housed at IBES, as well as with communications professionals housed in Brown’s Office of University Communications, Office of Sustainability and Resilience, the Initiative for Sustainable Energy, and the Climate Solutions Lab, to name a few.
The Associate Director of Communications is responsible for developing and maintaining a long-term strategy for staffing the communication needs of the unit, including developing and managing a communications team that may include full-time professionals and a number of student interns.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, integrated marketing or a related field, or a degree in environmental science or related field, with 6-8 years of professional experience in communications, marketing, public relations or a related field. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Previous experience in higher education or with an environmental institution is preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise of exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Demonstrated expertise in developing communications and marketing strategies.
- Demonstrated expertise in graphic design for print and digital communications.
- Excellent oral, presentation and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong narrative storytelling skills.
- Proficiency with web content management systems for editing and updating web content.
- Extensive experience managing social media accounts and social media campaigns, and a proven track record of success.
- Experience managing complex, multi-month assignments with multiple contributors, editors and stakeholders in balance with daily communications workflow.
- Excellent time and project management skills and ability to meet deadlines for projects with overlapping timelines.
- Strong ability to build and maintain effective working relationships, with the energy and dynamism to inspire others and effectively engage internal and external constituents.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to support a community of diverse perspectives and cultures in an inclusive environment.
Applicants are asked to include a resume and cover letter.
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert