Research Fellow in Marine Science/Geospatial Science
Who are we looking for?
We are seeking a Research Fellow in Marine Science/Geospatial Science to join School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Faculty of Science, Academic Division.
The Research Fellow (Level A) joins a multi-institutional and collaborative team of scientsts and engineers contributing to the Reef Restoration and Adaptation Program (RRAP), Rubble Stabilisation Subprogram. The Reef Restoration and Adaptation Program (RRAP) brings together Australia’s leading experts to create an innovative suite of safe, acceptable interventions to help the Great Barrier Reef be resilient, adapt to, and recover from the impacts of climate change. This Research and Development (R&D) program is the world’s largest effort to help a significant ecosystem survive climate change.
We’re offering this role as a hybrid position as part of QUT’s commitment to embracing the opportunities created by a more virtual and connected world.
Real world impact
QUT is a major Australian university with a global outlook and a 'real world' focus. We are an ambitious and collaborative institution that seeks to equip our students and graduates with the skills they will need in an increasingly disrupted and challenged world.
About the area
The School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences specialises in understanding fundamental chemical and physical processes that operate across Earth’s physical spheres. As researchers and educators, its staff are motivated by the need to solve current global challenges such as the state of the atmosphere, greenhouse gas emissions, energy and resource sustainability, and future planetary habitability. Core research focuses on the lithosphere, atmosphere and hydrosphere. We investigate how these physical spheres have evolved over Earth’s history and observe through geospatial science in order to understand interactions between each sphere and all life.
We are a diverse team of experts who deliver world-class education and achieve breakthroughs in research with particular focus on:
- Earth observation
- Natural resources
- Atmospheric composition and change
- Air quality and pollution
- Natural hazards
- Environmental science challenges (including reef restoration and energy).
- Future planetary habitability
Our view for the future of the School is to maintain and grow existing disciplinary strengths igneous petrology, geochemistry, volcanology, marine geology and tectonics..
What you need to succeed
- Completion of a doctoral qualification in oceanography, marine science or geospatial science with an emphasis on marine science.
- Demonstrated experience in accessing, processing and analysing large oceanographic and meteorology data sets.
- Demonstrated processing skills in Python, R or Matlab.
- Demonstrated capabilities in geospatial information science and cartography.
- Demonstrated ability to report on and publish research outcomes in top journals.
Careers at QUT
We're committed to building a culture that fosters connection between people and purpose. Beyond personal and professional fulfillment, a career at QUT offers:
- A healthy work-life balance with a blend of on-campus and off-campus work arrangements for applicable positions.
- Competitive remuneration with up to 17% superannuation.
- Generous maternity leave including primary carer parental leave of up to 26 weeks (including 17% super).
- Stay healthy with Fitness Passport and enjoy discounted rates on private health insurance.
- Leave loading of 17.5%.
- Purchased Leave Scheme - up to 8 extra weeks.
- Salary Packaging Scheme for additional superannuation contributions, vehicle leasing, and on-campus services such as childcare, parking, and gyms.
- Numerous opportunities for professional development including leadership programs and workshops, and our study assistance scheme.
- Commitment to our Indigenous Australian staff through initiatives such as the Indigenous Australian Staff Network, Cultural and Ceremonial Leave, Staff Development Workshops, and representation on university committees.
- We see diversity and inclusion as our strengths.
- Explore more benefits of life at QUT.
We are guided by our values of Ambition, Curiosity, Integrity, Inclusiveness, Innovation, and Academic Freedom and our QUT Connections in our mission to inspire and shape the next generation of change-makers.
In support of our Indigenous Australians Employment Strategy, we aspire to an Indigenous Australian workforce participation of 3.6% and we encourage Aboriginal Australians and Torres Strait Islander people to join us in pursuing a fulfilling career.
We believe in creating safe spaces for inclusivity to flourish and we know that diversity is our strength – see our commitment. If you’re curious, innovative, and ready to experience what a career at QUT can offer, we’re ready to meet you.
Reference number: 23740
Term: Fixed-term, full-time basis for two (2) years
Remuneration: $AUD87,917 to $AUD119,296 pa (LEVA) (inclusive of $AUD 74,291 to $AUD 100,806 salary pa, 17% superannuation and 17.5% recreation leave loading)
Location: Gardens Point
Job opens: 17-Aug-2023
Applications Close: 21-Sep-2023 at 11.30pm
Find out more and apply by clicking Apply or the link below.
View the job details at: https://qut.nga.net.au/?jati=138015DD-4B52-9864-ECFF-D1ED4C95DEB7
View Position Description