Postdoctoral and permanent research positions – Ocean Dynamics and Prediction Branch
- Naval Research Laboratory, Stennis Space Center, MS
- Postdoc annual 2023 salary is $79,363 + benefits, renewable up to 3 years
- Permanent position $80,000 to $150,000 + benefits, commensurate with experience
We are researchers seeking to understand and numerically represent ocean, ice, and wave dynamics for prediction systems with the long-term goal to transition for operational use. We collaborate with researchers across the globe from government agencies to academia. Research results are published in peer reviewed journal articles. The research and development at NRL require close collaborations between interdisciplinary scientists.
Information on projects, publications, and opportunities is at: www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil
Send your resume or any questions to: email@example.com
Because the work is multi-disciplinary, we seek people with knowledge and expertise in any of the following: oceanography, geophysical fluid dynamics, computer science, mathematics, data assimilation or related fields. Applicants should have skills in ocean modeling, data analysis, computer programming, or high-performance computing. With all people in our group, career advancement is a central concern. Therefore, we work with applicants to determine exciting projects with engaging mentors that will enable their growth in the field. We expect research results to be published in leading journals and to be presented at conferences. Research projects span global to nearshore scales. The physics include the ocean, surface waves, and sea ice.
With access to major high-performance computing resources, we utilized over 300 million CPU hours in the last year. Co-located with the Naval Oceanographic Office and Fleet Numerical Meteorology and Oceanography Center, we work closely with these operational groups to bring new research systems to application. Our systems are used in a broad range of daily decision applications around the globe. This is an opportunity to work with the nation's largest group of dedicated ocean prediction researchers. The work involves building numerical systems that forecast ocean dynamics, developing techniques to process satellite and in situ information, and assimilating observations into numerical models.
- Postdoctoral Fellowships – Annual 2023 salary is $79,363. Renewable up to 3 years. Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life.
- Permanent Researchers – Annual salary for full time federal civilian positions ranges from $80,000 to $150,000, commensurate with experience. Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Pension, Retirement.
- Variable work schedules with partial telework options. (No remote work.)
Be part of the future of ocean prediction!
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our research areas include:
- Thermohaline circulation
- Ocean dynamics
- Surface wave prediction
- Air-sea interactions
- Nearshore hydrodynamics
- Marginal sea upwelling
- High latitude ocean dynamics
- Arctic sea ice modeling
- Turbulence modeling
- High performance computing
- MPI computational coding
- Mesoscale dynamics
- Submesoscale structures
- Submesoscale eddy dynamics
- High resolution coastal modeling
- Frontal processes
- Predicting small scale features
- Probabilistic prediction
- Ocean internal wave modeling
- Coupled ocean/acoustics
- Nearshore hydrodynamics
- Cryosphere forecasting
- Optimal UUV sampling plans
- Automated unmanned control systems
- Autonomous controlled systems
- Satellite observations
- In situ observations
- Data assimilation
- Covariance modeling in assimilation
- Variational assimilation