The Advanced Study Program(ASP) postdoctoral fellowships provide successful applicants with considerable freedom to pursue their own research interests.
Fellows develop research projects in collaboration with NCAR scientists and engineers, but all are expected to choose their own research directions and are responsible for the design and conduct of their projects.
Job Location: Boulder, CO
Position: HYBRID (required some weekly presence in the office)
Visa Sponsorship: Available
Relocation reimbursement: Available
Annual Salary: $73000
Application Deadline: 31 October 2023
What You Will Do:
Conduct original research, following a plan developed by the incumbent and their team leads, in areas broadly related to atmospheric, solar, and Earth system science, science education, engineering, software engineering, and other research-related areas at NCAR and documents that research in publications and presentations at professional meetings.
Learn about aspects of NCAR science outside the Fellow's past experience by interacting and collaborating with other postdoctoral fellows and the NCAR scientific staff. Participates in and contributes to activities that advance the professional growth of the Fellows. These activities may include professional development workshops, contributing to NCAR/UCAR educational programs, serving on committees, attending workshops, or mentoring.
Participates in seminars, research reviews, and other organized scientific discussions by ASP and NCAR. May participate in the writing of grant proposals, and the review of scientific papers and proposals.
Education and Experience REQUIRED:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities REQUIRED:
Demonstrate a broad base of established and growing knowledge that can contribute to Earth system sciences.
Comprehensive knowledge of the specific research area.
Ability to design sound, ethical research protocols, safely perform the techniques necessary to conduct and analyze this research, and navigate the scientific publishing processes.
Ability to develop and implement scientific methods related to achieving research goals using past experience and general scientific research skills.
APPLICATION MATERIAL REQUIREMENTS - Before you start - Must Read !!
You must send the application in a single file.
All documents listed below (1-6) must be uploaded as a SINGLE file in PDF format. You will upload the SINGLE PDF FILE in the "resume" field in the application system.
Here is the list of the 6 documents necessary for your application (Please note that any incomplete application will not be considered):
- Document 1. Personal Statement - In your personal statement, please also describe your interest in becoming an ASP Postdoctoral Fellow. Explain why you think the lab(s) you chose in the questionnaire will fit your research well.
- Document 2. Research Statement - Your statement of research should clearly articulate what you propose to research at NCAR and why you would benefit from doing this work at NCAR and with guidance from NCAR staff. Your proposed research should further and complement the research being conducted at NCAR. For more information about NCAR's research and our new Strategic Plan, please go to https://ncar.ucar.edu/who-we-are/strategic-plan Please limit your proposal to no more than three pages (12 pt font, single-spaced, including figures and references).
- Document 3. Broader impacts
Please describe the broader impacts of your research. Broader impacts may be accomplished through your research itself, through activities that are directly related to your research, or through activities that are complementary to your proposal. The National Science Foundation and NCAR value the advancement of scientific knowledge and activities that contribute to the achievement of societally relevant outcomes. For guidance on broader impacts, see: (http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/gpg/broaderimpacts.pdf), (max. 1/2 page, 12 pt font, single spaced)
- Document 4. Inclusion statement
NCAR and the ASP embrace a work environment that is inclusive, diverse, and equitable. Our employees come from diverse backgrounds, and we strive to create the kind of inclusive, supportive, and welcoming workplace that will attract and retain an even greater diversity of individuals in the future. As part of this commitment, we require an “Inclusion Response Statement” from applicants that addresses the role of inclusion, diversity, and equity in the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) fields. The written statement will include a discussion of an applicant’s past leadership in this area and plans for future contributions to support diversity, equity, and inclusion. For more information please download the pdf below (Note that while you can write up to a page, the ASP application only requires 1/2 page, 12 pt font, single spaced).
Guidance for ASP applicants regarding your inclusion statement.
- Document 5. Curriculum Vita
- Document 6. Transcripts: We only need your graduate transcripts, and they can be unofficial. If you attended a US institution and your transcript contains your social security number, please be sure to block out that number before scanning.
Note: If you attended graduate school at an institution that does not have transcripts, please provide a list of your graduate coursework and any grades/marks received.