Director, Bureau of Economic Geology and State Geologist of Texas
The Jackson School of Geosciences (JSG) at the University of Texas at Austin (UT) seeks a new Director for the Bureau of Economic Geology (Bureau), the oldest (1909) and second largest (~250 FTE) organized research unit at UT (https://www.beg.utexas.edu/ ). The role of the Director is multifaceted, serving as the chief executive of this dynamic geoscience research unit, which is also the State Geological Survey of Texas. The Director is the State Geologist of Texas. The Bureau is one of three primary units in the Jackson School of Geosciences (JSG) and the Director holds a zero-percent tenured faculty appointment in the Department of Geological Sciences and serves on the Executive Committee of the Jackson School, reporting to its Dean.
We seek a dynamic Ph.D. geoscientist with an established scientific and administrative reputation, who can work seamlessly across industry, government, academia and the public. Work experience in more than one of these stakeholder groups would be ideal. Research vision and an entrepreneurial mindset are very important, as well as an ability to attract and inspire high-level talent. Experience working with state and federal legislative processes, senior government officials and industry leaders is paramount as the Director must lead and engage across sectors to sustain the Bureau’s diverse portfolio of research programs and sponsors. The Director must enjoy public engagement, have a high level of integrity and scientific objectivity, and be an effective communicator to experts and to the public.
- Ph.D. in geosciences and at least 15 years of professional experience in the geosciences. Demonstrated knowledge of geoscience, energy and environmental systems and development of natural resources.
- National recognition in a field of geoscience research, as demonstrated by a record of organizational scientific leadership, refereed publications, external funding, professional service, and other qualifications suitable for a joint faculty appointment with tenure in the Department of Geological Sciences in JSG.
- Prior administrative experience including strategic planning, program development, personnel supervision, evaluation, and recruitment, budgeting and operational management.
- Experience in raising external funding for large, strategic projects/ grants.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a wide constituency, such as academic faculty and research scientists, undergraduate and graduate students, the public, government officials, service organizations and the private sector.
- Excellence in oral and written communication, and ability to articulate scientific strategy at the highest levels, and build trust and credibility with key stakeholders in the public and private sectors.
Apply at The University of Texas at Austin Staff Jobs (myworkdayjobs.com)
Questions ? Email JSG-BUREAU-DIRECTOR-SEARCH@jsg.utexas.edu