Work commitment: Full-time
Application deadline: September 30, 2023
Location: Butte, MT or Remote
Estimated salary: $70,000 - $110,000 with benefits (healthcare, retirement, vacation)
OPeNDAP is both the name of a non-profit organization and the name of a protocol that the OPeNDAP organization has developed. OPeNDAP provides software that allows people to access and subset local data from remote locations regardless of local storage format. Founded in 2000, OPeNDAP has a small 5-person, remote, and full-time team, and a supportive 5-person Board of Directors. Currently, its main funder is NASA.
About the position
OPeNDAP seeks to hire a full-time Community Director to help develop our community engagement approach, and grow and foster our community of users, contributors, developers, and institutional partners. This is a new upper-level role in the organization offering an opportunity to strategically build our community. Our goals for this hire are to create new pathways for people to contribute to our software development, make it easier for people to understand and use OPeNDAP software and protocols, and develop new collaborations for OPeNDAP.
The best candidate would be a self-starter, resourceful, friendly, a connector of people, and passionate about open source software development. As part of the role, the candidate is encouraged to engage in their own professional development and research activities.
Key responsibilities of the role:
- Strategically develop the community development approach for OPeNDAP, including providing leadership and vision for how best to develop the community.
- Hands-on management of the community, including developing and supporting small working groups, leading and implementing communication with community members and the community at-large, and planning and implementing community events.
- Stewardship of community leaders or champions.
- Coordinate and manage small project teams.
- Develop institutional-level and project-level partnerships and collaborations.
- Publically represent OPeNDAP as a thought leader and subject matter expert.
- Evaluate and assess the community approach.
- Contribute to executive-level strategic development of the organization itself.
- A passion for community engagement and enthusiasm to build connections between people and cultivate new community leaders.
- Strong project management and team science skills.
- Able to translate highly technical information into easy-to-digest information (e.g., copy writing and verbal communication).
- Evaluation and assessment skills and experience.
- Experience with organizing and managing distributed online communities.
- Experience with developing, managing, and moderating online community infrastructure (e.g., website, Slack, MailChimp, social media etc).
- Experience with content creation, like writing blog posts, posting on social media, and updating the website.
- Experience with peer-reviewed article writing and giving conference presentations.
- Experience organizing, coordinating, and hosting in-person and online events like workshops, webinars, or community meetings.
- Experience collaborating in and leading research teams.
- Teaching and training experience, including curriculum development
- Experience with federal funding research proposal development and writing
- Technical writing skills–to help with both developing software documentation and organizing the content so users can more easily understand how OPeNDAP works
- A PhD degree or equivalent amount of experience that allows the candidate to interact on a peer level with university faculty, nonprofit and industry executives, academics, researchers, and federal agencies supporting science.
- A strong technical background, supporting the candidate’s ability to both contribute to and explain the technical underpinnings of OPeNDAP’s software and protocols.
- Must be U.S.-based, and legally authorized to work in the U.S.
How to apply?
This job description is a starting point for our search for a new member to join our small team. You do not need to have all of the described skills, experience, and qualifications listed above. If you feel excited about this position and feel that you have many of the right qualities, please apply. We would love to hear from you.
To apply, please use this form https://tinyurl.com/mr4ame8n to let us know why you are interested in this position and to send us your CV/resume.