The University of Connecticut, Department of Marine Sciences (DMS) seeks a candidate for the position of Oceanographic Data Analyst (Research Assistant 2) to assist in the analysis and management of the Long Island Sound Integrated Coastal Observing System (LISICOS).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
With the supervision of the Principal Investigator and the assistance of more senior staff, the Research Assistant 2 will:
- Perform system stats monitoring.
- Perform data quality assurance tasks.
- Ensure archived data is available to the LISICOS database and ERDDAP site.
- Perform data cleanup and statistical analysis.
- Effectively communicate the data-related information by developing data summaries.
- Assist with oceanographic data and instrument setup.
- Assist with miscellaneous administrative tasks.
- Bachelor’s degree in marine science, oceanography, engineering, physics, or a closely related discipline and two to three years of post-degree experience OR, a Master’s degree and from no experience to one year of post-degree experience.
- An intermediate capability in a high-level programming language (i.e. Matlab, Python, Fortran, C, etc.).
- Experience with data management and analysis.
- Effective writing and communication skills.
- Familiarity with oceanographic data and instruments.
- Experience with both Unix and Windows computing environments.
- Experience with data sharing via ERDDAP and THREDDS or similar data-sharing approaches.
This is a full-time, 12-month position with the possibility of annual renewal. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Applicant should be available to start position at Avery Point, Groton, CT within one month of offer acceptance.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #497962 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references. Evaluation of applicants will begin immediately. Applicants should add the email address firstname.lastname@example.org as a safe sender.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on December 1, 2023.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
All members of the University of Connecticut are expected to exhibit appreciation of, and contribute to, an inclusive, respectful, and diverse environment for the University community.
The University of Connecticut aspires to create a community built on collaboration and belonging and has actively sought to create an inclusive culture within the workforce. The success of the University is dependent on the willingness of our diverse employee and student populations to share their rich perspectives and backgrounds in a respectful manner. This makes it essential for each member of our community to feel secure and welcomed and to thoroughly understand and believe that their ideas are respected by all. We strongly respect each individual employee’s unique experiences and perspectives and encourage all members of the community to do the same. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
The University of Connecticut is an AA/EEO Employer.