Job Posting Details for Assistant/Associate/Full Professors at the EOAS Thrust, HKUST(GZ)
In-person inquiry and CV submission at AGU 2023 Booth 704.
Formally established in June 2022, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Guangzhou) (HKUST(GZ)) is a cooperatively-run university between the Chinese mainland and the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. HKUST(GZ) adopts a brand-new and cross-disciplinary academic structure featuring “hub” and “thrust”, in contrast to the conventional academic structure characterized by “school” and “department”. This new academic structure encourages cross-disciplinary research by facilitating the integration of vigorously developing and fast-emerging frontier disciplines.
The Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences (EOAS) Thrust is a department within HKUST(GZ), aiming to become a leading educational and research entity in interdisciplinary studies of ocean-atmosphere-land interactions. EOAS employs a multidisciplinary approach, covering research in physical oceanography, ocean biogeochemistry, atmospheric physics and chemistry, watershed hydrology, and earth surface sciences within the coupled Earth system, as well as climate adaptation and resilience. Appointees are expected to engage in cutting-edge, innovative scientific research, undertake national and international research projects, and contribute to advancing multidisciplinary initiatives.
Qualification of Candidates
We are currently seeking candidates with research backgrounds in oceanography, atmospheric science, climate science, earth system science, and related fields. Specifically, we are interested in candidates specializing in the following research areas:
- Climate Adaptation and Resilience: e.g., climate risk identification, assessment and modeling, ecosystem-based adaptation, water resources management and adaptation, climate-resilient health systems, climate-resilient agriculture and food systems, urban resilience.
- Earth and Urban System Science: e.g., earth and urban system observations and modeling, urban informatics, in-situ and satellite remote sensing, human-environment interactions and sustainability.
- Earth Surface Processes: e.g., land surface processes and land-use modeling, water quality and management in surface and underground water, and physical, chemical, and biological processes in the hydrological cycle.
- Atmospheric Science: e.g., atmospheric chemistry, air pollution and climate change interactions, atmospheric dynamics and climate science, cloud and aerosol process modeling, aerosol remote sensing, and aerosol-weather and aerosol-climate interactions.
- Oceanography: e.g., physical, biological, chemical, and fishery oceanography, as well as related fields such as air-sea and land-sea interactions.
- Applicants must hold a PhD degree in oceanography, atmospheric science, environmental science, climate science, or related fields, along with relevant research and teaching experiences.
- For the Assistant Professor position, applicants should have a minimum of 2 years post-doctoral experience and strong research track records.
- For the Associate Professor position, applicants should demonstrate strong records of teaching, student supervision, and notable research and publication achievements.
- For the Full Professor position, applicants should possess world-class academic achievements, strong academic leadership and reputation, and an excellent record of research and publications.
As the medium of instruction at HKUST(GZ) is English, a good command of written and spoken English, and the ability to teach effectively in English, are required.
HKUST(GZ) is committed to promoting diversity in recruitment and ensuring equal-opportunity employment. We strongly encourage suitable candidates from diverse backgrounds to submit their applications.
Remuneration and Conditions of Service
Salary for all positions is highly competitive at an international standard and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Generous research funds, ample laboratory space, and excellent research equipment and support will be provided.
All positions are tenure-track appointments at the HKUST(GZ) campus in mainland China, in accordance with Chinese employment laws and regulations.
Appointments at the Professor rank and some Associate Professor ranks will be made on a substantive basis, while appointments for other tenure-track faculty ranks will be made on an initial fixed-term contract of up to three years with the option for renewal.
Please submit your application through the HKUST/HKUST(GZ) Recruitment System (https://facrecruit.hkust.edu.hk/). You should first sign up to create your personal account. For more information, please visit the recruitment website (https://gz-faculty-recruitment.hkust.edu.hk/).
Applications will be reviewed until all positions are filled. We appreciate your interest and kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be notified about the outcome of their application.
For inquiries regarding the recruitment system or general questions, please email Miss Phoenix Li, at email@example.com with the subject line "Application to EOAS" and copy to the Thrust Head, Prof. Frank SC Lee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that the information provided by applicants will only be used for recruitment and other employment-related purposes. All application materials, including publication samples and scholarly/creative works, will be disposed of after the completion of the recruitment process.
We are also hosting an in-person inquiry session at the AGU Annual Meeting 2023 from Dec. 11 to Dec. 14 at Booth 704. You are welcome to stop by with any questions or submit your CV if you are interested in applying.