Postdoctoral Research Associate in Geomechanics, Geochemistry, or Geophysics
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Los Alamos, New Mexico
Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in science and engineering on behalf of national security. We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate to join our Energy & Natural Resources Security group. In this position, you will work with a team of experts in rock mechanics, well integrity, geophysics and geochemistry to develop innovative, experimental and modeling methodologies to address challenges in energy, the environment and national security.
Areas of Interest:
- Using optical fibers to measure distributed strain and temperature inside high-pressure high-temperature vessels.
- Understanding the thermo-chemo-mechanical properties of cementitious composites.
- Experimenting with near wellbore modeling with coupled thermo-poro-elasticity.
- PhD in a STEM field that included study of mechanics of materials and fluid mechanics (or equivalents)
- Hands-on experience operating high-pressure (>100 psi) laboratory equipment
- Record of publishing in peer-reviewed journals
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a diverse and dynamic team environment
- Experience with high-pressure and/or high-temperature laboratory equipment
- Knowledge regarding optical fibers for strain and/or temperature measurements
- Familiarity with fundamental concepts of thermo-chemo-mechanical properties of cementitious materials
- Training, education or working knowledge of signal processing methods
- Background in poro-mechanics, plastic-deformation or earth mechanics models
- Background in cementitious composites design and/or well design
- Experience with analytical equipment (e.g., TGA, SEM, XRD, pore size distribution analyzer or calorimetry)
- Proficiency with computational data analysis (e.g., Python, R or MatLab)
We Are Delivering Scientific Excellence
Los Alamos National Laboratory is more than a place to work. It is a catalyst for discovery, innovation and achievement. It’s one of the reasons we attract world-class talent who contribute greatly to our outstanding culture. Professional development, work/life balance and a diverse and inclusive team foster lasting career satisfaction. Our onsite cafeterias and medical, fitness and breastfeeding facilities, education assistance and generous compensation and benefits reflect our commitment to providing our people with all they need for personal and professional growth. Northern New Mexico offers an abundance of wildlife, culture and adventures, including hiking trails and nearby ski resorts. Learn why Los Alamos has been rated #3 in the Best Counties to Live in the USA.
Apply now: https://lanl.jobs/search/jobdetails/postdoctoral-research-associate-in-geomechanics-geochemistry-or-geophysics/696c5bdf-1b15-4d1e-a1d4-fc841d63338b
Search: Req. Number: IRC126972
Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.