We help the world see new possibilities and inspire change for better tomorrows. Our analytic solutions bridge content, data, and analytics to help business, people, and society become stronger, more resilient, and sustainable.
Work with a team of established research scientists and engineers with a diverse background in geology, geophysics, and earthquake seismology and engineering to conduct and assimilate emerging seismic hazard research to develop and enhance models. This moderate sized team is part of the Research Department at the Extreme Event Solutions business unit at Verisk (Verisk). The team’s primary responsibility is to develop earthquake risk assessment models for various regions of the worldwide using the latest science and technology accounting for all types of hazards related or triggered by earthquakes. At this role as a Senior scientist, you will be responsible to develop comprehensive earthquake hazard models incorporating the latest sciences and technology and accounting for all types of uncertainties in seismic source and ground motion intensity modeling.
The Extreme Event Solutions business unit, formerly AIR Worldwide Corp, is a member of the Verisk Insurance Solutions group at Verisk Analytics, is the scientific leader and most respected provider of risk modeling software and consulting services. AIR founded the catastrophe modeling industry in 1987 and today models the risk from natural catastrophes and terrorism in 90 countries. AIR offers the opportunity to work with advanced technologies, global clients, and hundreds of the most innovative, talented minds in the industry.
Become a member of the Verisk Extreme Event Solutions’ growing Research and Modeling department. Work closely with an energetic team of scientists, engineers, analysts, and statisticians conducting research and developing models used to estimate and manage the financial risk associated with catastrophes resulting from extreme events.
- Manage the collection and analysis of a wide range of observational data, including historical earthquake catalogs, active faults and geodetic data, geological and geotectonic data, and historical ground shaking intensity data, use them to develop seismicity and earthquake hazard models worldwide.
- Conduct research on shallow soil site condition and its impact on ground motion intensity for various types of seismic sources.
- Conduct research on probabilistic seismic hazard analysis (PSHA) for different types of seismic sources, improve and advance PSHA methodologies for robust short-term and long-term seismic hazard assessment at regional and location level.
- Collaborate with other seismologists and earthquake engineers to develop comprehensive and consistent earthquake risk assessment models.
- Communicate earthquake hazard and risk model results to internal and external clients
- Must have a strong background (through education and/or research) in earthquake geology and geophysics, geotechnic engineering and site characterization for ground motion modeling, and solid understanding of and experience in seismic hazard analysis
- Must have the ability to interpret geological, geophysical, and historical earthquake data for characterization of seismic sources and ground motion for hazard analysis
- Solid knowledge with minimum of 3 years of experience in seismic hazard analysis and the ability to gather, integrate, and critically analyze data and results from all relevant sources of natural hazard information
- Strong analytic skills and proficiency in scientific programming languages, including C++, FORTRAN, Python, R, with 2+ years of experience with at least one of the languages
- Proficiency in working in Windows and Linux/Unix environment
- Highly motivated and self-directed with demonstrated experience in advancing complex projects and working with interdisciplinary teams of scientists
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- Ph.D. in geology /geophysics/geotechnical engineering with 5 or more years of research or industry experiences in earthquake hazard modeling, including 2+ years of direct experience in seismic hazard analysis is required.
For over 50 years, Verisk has been the leading data analytics and technology partner to the global insurance industry by delivering value to our clients through expertise and scale. We empower communities and businesses to make better decisions on risk, faster.
At Verisk, you'll have the chance to use your voice and build a rewarding career that's as unique as you are, with work flexibility and the support, coaching, and training you need to succeed.
For the eighth consecutive year, Verisk is proudly recognized as a Great Place to Work® for outstanding workplace culture in the US, fourth consecutive year in the UK, Spain, and India, and second consecutive year in Poland. We value learning, caring and results and make inclusivity and diversity a top priority. In addition to our Great Place to Work® Certification, we’ve been recognized by The Wall Street Journal as one of the Best-Managed Companies and by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and Best Employer for Women, testaments to the value we place on workplace culture.
We’re 7,000 people strong. We relentlessly and ethically pursue innovation. And we are looking for people like you to help us translate big data into big ideas. Join us and create an exceptional experience for yourself and a better tomorrow for future generations.
Underwriting Solutions — provides underwriting and rating solutions for auto and property, general liability, and excess and surplus to assess and price risk with speed and precision
Claims Solutions — supports end-to-end claims handling with analytic and automation tools that streamline workflow, improve claims management, and support better customer experiences
Property Estimating Solutions — offers property estimation software and tools for professionals in estimating all phases of building and repair to make day-to-day workflows the most efficient
Extreme Event Solutions — provides risk modeling solutions to help individuals, businesses, and society become more resilient to extreme events.
Specialty Business Solutions — provides an integrated suite of software for full end-to-end management of insurance and reinsurance business, helping companies manage their businesses through efficiency, flexibility, and data governance
Marketing Solutions — delivers data and insights to improve the reach, timing, relevance, and compliance of every consumer engagement
Life Insurance Solutions – offers end-to-end, data insight-driven core capabilities for carriers, distribution, and direct customers across the entire policy lifecycle of life and annuities for both individual and group.
Verisk Maplecroft — provides intelligence on sustainability, resilience, and ESG, helping people, business, and societies become stronger
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
HR CCPA Privacy Notice.pdf